Q about USB audio for live use

Forum for SH-201
enossified

Q about USB audio for live use

Post by enossified »

I'm looking to pick up an SH201 next week to use with a laptop as a compact gigging rig. I chose the 201 specifically because of the USB audio interface (one less box to worry about). Anyone here using their 201 with a laptop live?

The manual glosses over the USB audio so quickly it's hard to tell whether it will do what I need. Since this is for gigging I don't care at all about the recording path, only the playback path routing audio from the laptop out of the 201.

I'm using a Win XP laptop with Reason and/or Live, how stable are the Roland drivers for XP? Will I be able to get low enough latency for playing my softsynths in real time?

Is the external audio level control of the 201 only for the analog inputs or can I control the laptop output level as well?

How easy is it to mute the 201 itself when I want only external audio to go to the output jacks?

Anyone had issues with using the 201 and a Launchpad at the same time with Live?

Anything else I should know about that might be a showstopper?
DaniH

Re: Q about USB audio for live use

Post by DaniH »

Get a midi to usb adapter. The audio from the laptop out of the SH-201 is a bit less then your normal level with the laptop (in my opinion). I do not remember if you can turn down the keyboard sound without turning down the usb audio. Still, get a M-Audio usb to midi.
fallingman

Post by fallingman »

I'd be interested to see how you get on, as I had the same idea, but didn't follow it through when I realised you can't control / mix the SH-201's own output separately from the audio function, although you could simply set up a dummy blank patch and use that all the time.

Let us know how you get on - good luck!

:-)

Andy
fuzulu

Post by fuzulu »

regarding cutting down the sh201 synth output , you can just turn down the amp volume knob , thats what i do usually