Upgrading from SH-201?

Forum for SH-201
anyweb

Upgrading from SH-201?

Post by anyweb »

Hi there,
My boyfriend is a musician currently using a Roland Sh-201. I want to get him a new synth, which is the next step up? He uses it mostly for performance, enjoys his organ sounds and has a problem with the oscillators in the Sh-201 (he thinks it sounds tinny).
Help me please!
DaniH

Re: Upgrading from SH-201?

Post by DaniH »

Maybe a Korg Radias or any Nord Lead.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

New Synths aside, You thought of running it through something else? i.e. if it's sounding tinny and he needs some more oompf! then put it through a mixers EQ, an effects unit, or get something like a Korg KP3 to really mash it up, if thats your thing.
francvania

Post by francvania »

If you can afford, get him an Access Virus Ti. Trust me, he will be will love it.
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

The SH-201 is already capable of lot of bass (tons in fact if you use the Low Freq Boost), so the "tinny" sound he is hearing from the oscillators is due to the tuning of them being locked in place by default. This is why many VA synths and even DCO analog synths end up sounding "thin", you have to actually program the warmth into them.

Using two oscillators, set one LFO to the Random waveform, turn the Rate knob down to where its really slow, then select OSC 1 or 2 Pitch as one of it's destinations. Experiment with both Rate and Depth to where it begins to produce a rich chorus effect. This is actually simulating what a VCO synthesizer does naturally and why so many people assume VA synthesizers are only capable of "thin" sounds.

And again, always use that Low Freq Boost. It really gives the sound some massive bass.