assigning Upper and Lower tones

Forum for SH-201
zacharymarkey

assigning Upper and Lower tones

Post by zacharymarkey »

hi guys, thanks for having me.

i actually don't play, but my bandmate uses a 201 and we are having a little trouble - we've had it for years, and it's taken us about that long to figure it out (lol), but there's still an issue we can't get straight.
we've read the manual and scoured the internet for an explanation - what is the process to assign what patches are the Upper and Lower tones? we have been able to engage the different modes - upper or lower, dual and split, but have no way to assign what patches inform the upper and lower.

the manual states:

"Playing and editing the UPPER tone
Press the UPPER button so the UPPER button’s indicator is lit. (The indicator
for the LOWER button goes out.)
When you play the keyboard, the UPPER tone will sound.
Edit the UPPER tone as described in p. 28 through p. 44.
fig.LOWER-button"

the editing process described is just the basics for selecting the OSC, etc.

sorry if this sounds dumb, but since the function of the split mode seems to be for playing two patches at once, it seems like we should be able to easily assign what presets are informing the upper and lower tones.
any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

PS

we do have the Library and editor installed and running, perhaps the assignment is a lot more clear doing it in the editor?
Fredisland

Re: assigning Upper and Lower tones

Post by Fredisland »

( 4 years later 😊 )
A patch is made with 2 tones (OSC1 + OSC2 + all the other modifications) :

✅When the UPPER button light is ON🔴, you are modifiing the UPPER sound.
✅When the LOWER button light is ON🔴, you are modifiing the LOWER sound.
✅When LOWER and UPPER buttons lights are ON, you are modifing the one which is blinking.

So, a patch is made with 4 OSC : 2 OSC for LOWER, 2 for UPPER. Of course, you may just use UPPER or LOWER. So, you understand that the two buttons LOWER and UPPER can NEVER be ON at the same time. Hope it will help you even so many years laters.

But this all brings me to another question : how to copy UPPER or LOWER part a patch to another UPPER or LOWER patch (maybe with the editor, I didn't find it).