Sonic Cell

Forum for SonicCell
nativeops

Sonic Cell

Post by nativeops »

I know the Sonic Cell doesn't have any sampling capabilities, but I know it does stream AIFF, WAV, and MP3 from the USB chip. I also understand it plays SMF MIDI files.

My question is, when the unit is playing an MP3 or audio file, are the patches still usable?

Does the audio have time-stretch capability if the tempo changes?

I've herd it can also play loops, but does it switch from loop to loop seamlessly with out dropouts?

And surely, if the unit has a MIDI out, the sequencer in it could trigger an external synthesizer as long as the part on the sonic cell was muted. right?

Correct me if I'm wrong about that one, but any responses to these questions would be appreciated very much.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Sonic Cell

Post by Artemiy »

Thread was moved to "Synthesizers".
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

My question is, when the unit is playing an MP3 or audio file, are the patches still usable?
Yes, you can fully use the SC as sound module in Performance or Patch Mode.

Does the audio have time-stretch capability if the tempo changes?
No
I've herd it can also play loops, but does it switch from loop to loop seamlessly with out dropouts?
No, the SC does not play "loops". At least not as a "sampler". It plays WAV, AIFF and MP3 files as a regular MP3 player would do.
And surely, if the unit has a MIDI out, the sequencer in it could trigger an external synthesizer as long as the part on the sonic cell was muted. right?
Yes, the SMF player also goes to MIDI OUT so you can use the SC to drive external sound sources.

One thing must be cleared here. The manual in the page 168 states :
You can’t use the SMF/Audio File Player to play songs while also using USB audio/MIDI message input/output (p. 140).
I don't know if I understand this right but I believe this is an error in the manual. I mean, I effectively can use the SMF/Audio player to run a song while I also play a Patch/Performance with a MIDI keyboard connected to the MIDI IN. The same using the USB-MIDI connection thru a DAW. I've tested it both ways and it works. In fact I would be very surprised if it didn't has this would make no sense. The truth, and what the manual should say is:

"You can’t use the SMF/Audio File Player to play songs while also using Audio/MIDI output thru USB"
AudioKey

Simultaneous playback of SMF and WAV

Post by AudioKey »

Hi V-CeeOh,

I am teetering on the brink of springing for a Sonic Cell to have a backup to my current Sonar & hard-disk live playback system, but one crucial question remains:

Can I set up Sonic Cell's playlist to playback a stereo track simultaneous to a SMF, and if so will they stay in sync with each other? My plan with Sonic Cell is to mix down all my audio backing tracks to a stereo master WAV or MP3, and then export the MIDI data as a SMF. Ideally, I could then set up Sonic Cell to play both simultaneously, giving the 'live' sound of the SC's sound engine (and my external synths) along with the audio tracks.

I read through the manual today but am not sure if this is one of the operational modes of the unit - It seems that you can only choose one or the other playback type in the playlist editor. Please let me know what is the actual case!

Cheers,

AudioKey
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi AudioKey and Welcome to the Clan

No, you can't play 2 files at the same time, but yes, you can use both in the same playlist.
HansT

Sonicell midi out

Post by HansT »

Hi,
I'm using Fantom XR connected to a Mc-80 sequenser, and I interessted in replacing the MC-80 with SonicCell for live performance.

I've understood that that the soundmodule-parts on the SonicCell can be muted so I can get the signal sent to the Midi out ?

Or is it sending midi out anyway on all channels independent of whether the internal parts are muted or not?

If I want to play back midifiles with just the sound of my XR, can this muting of the internal SoicCell soundpart be saved for each file?

Anyway, if the midisignals on the SonicCell are allways sent out. I can of course turn the volume on the SonicCell down and just listen to the XR(?)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

HansT
I still have to dig a little on this but:

Yes, the MIDI files always go to MIDI Out but you can set the volume of each PART in each Song (you would have to WRITE the Playlist after that). Since the manual says this is a "Part Volume", not "Track/Channel Volume", I believe that this will only affect SonicCell's own sound generator and not what's outputed at MIDI Out (have to check how this would be done). If this is the case you would only have to set the volume to 0 for the parts you do not want the SC to play. Obviouslly any Volume MIDI message (CC7) in the Song file will affect both, internal and external sound sorces. In the end, as you say, you can turn down the SC Volume and just listen to the XR.
I will check this as soon as I can get hands on a SC.
Mr. I-35

MC-80

Post by Mr. I-35 »

let me know how much you want for your Mc-80 if you decide to sell it. I've been using my xp-80 to sequence all my gear but I want something more portable. Hit me up.