Sonic cell reset

Forum for SonicCell
uturn

Sonic cell reset

Post by uturn »

Used my SC for the first time live the other night as a midi player.(replaced my Dr Synth)
I "init perf" after every song to reset the SC (Didn't have to do this with the Dr Synth)
However, to my horror, one song played the guitar track a full tone above every other track..had to turn off the SC, reload (this took a couple of minutes) and then start again.
This time it played ok..now I realise that the previous track must have ended on a pitch bend but would have thought that the "init perf" would have overridden this..
Am going back to the Dr Synt until I find out how to correct this major defect..A shame cos the sounds are excellent!
Is there a sysex message that will reset the sc back to default? Any clever people out there able to help?
Cheers
Dean
tomdavisdotcom

use a "controller reset" mid file

Post by tomdavisdotcom »

I have a file called AAA.mid in which i have all controllers and pitches at default values and resets. Any problem, I play that file and all is back to normal for the next mid file i play
uturn

aaa.mid

Post by uturn »

That's a great idea..
I think I'll give it a go
Cheers
Dean
uturn

reset..

Post by uturn »

Thinking about it though, that would only work on a GM/GS reset would it not? I tend to use the SC voices even though I'm using Midifiles...I have to remove the GM/GS messages at the start of each midi, otherwise I get all sorts of wierd & not so wonderful sounds (bagpipes instead of guitars etc.)
I think, im terms of midi players for live performance, Roland have taken a massive step back here..
With the Dr Synth, I was able to slow down the tempo on my midi (once I had made required changes) and "midi dump" the settings to the start of every file..simple..
Cannot find a way to "midi dump" on the SC though...
tomdavisdotcom

GM and Non-GM

Post by tomdavisdotcom »

You can use Non GM in your midi files. You have to tell the SC what bank to use though. For instance, on Channel 10, due to the super poor GM drum sets (those snares are the worst ever), I set controller number 0 to value of 0 and then controller number 32 to value of 86 , then Prog Change to value 3 to use the Standard Kit instead of GM kit. I used the editor to change the bass drum and the D#1 key to a hand clap instead of the drum roll so it conforms to my GM files. Also, on that kit I lowered the toms. They are WAY louder than the other drums. So yes, there are some major pain in the arse flaws but after a while and using the editor, you can do what you need.
uturn

sc midi reset

Post by uturn »

I agree with you totally..some of the sounds are amazing (some of the guitars are great) but I was very disappointed with the GM drums..guess there have to be some cutbacks somewhere eh :)