Sonic Cell-same sound in perf mode

Forum for SonicCell
miden

Sonic Cell-same sound in perf mode

Post by miden »

How the hell do you get a patch to sound the same in performance mode? They sound great when playing them in patch mode but terrible when in performance (or Part) mode...Help please as this is REALLY REALLY frustrating.
Than manual is no use as all it says is have it output as PAT and then effects saved with the patch will be used. THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!
miden

Re: Sonic Cell-same sound in perf mode

Post by miden »

Just a follow-up to the original. I think the way to do it is to just set up various performances and then select them via midi.
I have discovered that Roland left out the info in their ins def files to select the performance banks. For those that are interested User performances are bank 10880 and preset performances are bank 10944. either one is just followed by a patch number 1-64. You need to set up which channel is going to rx the message. Default is channel 16 and this is the one I am using. It is turned on by default but it is switchable.
Cheers
Dennis
PS Still haven't found an easy way to have patches sound the same in a performance, other than manually noting the mfx settings in the patch and then inserting those in the performance via the editor. Then saving that in a performance slot. And accessing via the method above.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I believe the effects are the issue you are experiencing. I should take a look but I believe the patch effects routing gets replaced by the Performace effects routing (thus the reason it sounds bad). You might want to copy down the effects settings of the patch you like, then create a performance with the same effects settings (although every part will have these effects applied). But it may work for you.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Although made for Fantoms THIS may help you
miden

Post by miden »

Thanks guys,
Roland Australia tech support pretty much confirmed what you advise yesterday when I finally spoke with them.
V-Ceeoh thanks for the link, very informative. Just one question though, I understand the methodology explained in that document, but what output is the track set to, MFX or PAT?
Cheers
Dennis
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm not sure I understand your question but if you set it to MFX you are routing the Part to one of the MFX (multi-effects processor) that you can freely ajust. If you set to PAT the part will "call" the MFX effects definitions used at Patch mode.
miden

Post by miden »

Thanks. For full flexibility I would need to set to MFX.
Dennis
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

always glad to help :-)