another Sonic Cell / SRX board comparison question

Forum for SonicCell
Noteman

Re: another Sonic Cell / SRX board comparison question

Post by Noteman »

Yeah, jef_citron is right that alone the piano is kinda weak, the highs sound good on some mixes though. The lows arent that great.

Anyway I have a other comparsion for you, and thats the orchestra board SRX-06, is there anything to gain from that? Exspecially stronger choirs would be nice. Demos are very welcome.
Ivochkin

Post by Ivochkin »

I have SRX-06. IK Multimedia Philarmonic sounds a little better. And Project SAM Symphobia kills SRX-06 without a chance. I don't recommend this expansion in our days of huge sample libraries
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

yea but is the SRX-06 a lot better than the sonic cell?
I dont like software : (.

Why did you buy sonic cell if you use software BTW?
Gertje

Post by Gertje »

Which B4real version should I download for the Sonic Cell?

I can only find version 8, but this is in the FantomX/S subsection within the files section.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Just googled for symphobia and that thing is 1000 euros. How can you compare a SRX card with something costing 4 x the price??????? Not to mention software is better mainly because (and when) it's CHEAP. When it's no longer the case - go hardware all the way!
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

go to the Yahoo Groups Sonic Cell site- the B4Real for Sonic Cell is there.
Keyssion

Post by Keyssion »

I by the way noticed that after putting B4real on my sonic cell it started lagging. And when playing with the performance you can't play very fast because the synth follows slowly :D And if you strum a chord fast it can't do that well.
Gertje

B4real for Sonic Cell

Post by Gertje »

@ javaj:

Thanks, I'll do that and explore that route.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Keyssion,
That is very interesting. The last time I loaded the B4Real was on the initial 1.1 bios (It may have been the earlier one even). I noticed a very slight lag as 13 channels were playing live- but it was very playable- I wonder if the new bios is causing issues??
Gertje

Post by Gertje »

I managed to put the B4Real on my Sonic Cell (OS 1.20).
Great job, kudos to the creator, and no lagging issues encountered so far.
RobJuno

Noteman - Improving Pianos

Post by RobJuno »

As I have just recently suggested in a Juno-G thread, you may be able to make very muddy pianos crystal clear by going into pro edit Modify page (assuming sonic cell has this) and raising the Cutoff Offset. I have always thought the Juno-G pianos unclear. This really helps! Same can be said also for SRX-07 pianos!!! Shockingly dull on Juno, like they were not programmed for its synth engine at all!
kizz

Post by kizz »

What about srx-01?
i want some decent drums for a fair price
:)
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Getting off thread I'm sure. Just chipping in. It baffles me what people could see in a drum expansion board, when (if like the juno) half the waveforms in memory are drums/percussion (which by the time there are often multpile very similar waveforms of synth samples, rapidly cuts down the variation in the core pallette of sounds). I can see how software drum synths, with huge numbers of velocity layers are more realistic, but in a hardware form, and with the limitation of the four potential velocity layers within the Sonic Cell/Juno/Fantom engine, I'm surprised anyone sees the difference between the onboard waveforms, and that which could be offered by the SRX-01. The extra drum sounds in my SRX-07 haven't really ben auditioned yet, in 5months of having the board.