another Sonic Cell / SRX board comparison question

Forum for SonicCell
reidmc

another Sonic Cell / SRX board comparison question

Post by reidmc »

For a simple live controller + sound module setup I am considering either the Sonic Cell or a used XV-5050 with SRX 7 / 11 cards. All I really am interested in are a couple of excellent acoustic piano sounds and some very good EP and drawbar organ sounds. I'll probably use some synth bass, clavinet and vibes sounds too, but they are not critical or even important parts of any gear decision.

q1 - Are the piano, ep and organ sounds found on the Sonic Cell the same ones found on the SRX 07 / 11 cards? Better tone quality and expressiveness? Worse?

q2 - Though no big plans at this point, I am intrigued by the possibility of playing back songs/backing tracks for rehearsal purposes and checking arrangements. I know that SC does this and would like to hear some comments about how well it does.

q3 - Any way to get the XV-5050 and installed cards to play back arrangements/backing tracks, or will I always need a computer to do that?

Thanks!
javaj_

Re: another Sonic Cell / SRX board comparison question

Post by javaj_ »

q1- Yes, I think the SC pianos are way better than the SRX-07 piano's (the SC has new piano waveforms just for the SC that doesn't come from the Fantom series). I feel they are more dynamic than the SRX-07 piano's- but that is just me.

q2- works fine. You load up your (MP3/WAV/AIFF) onto a USB key through the Playlist tool from your computer. Plug it into the SC- and you can playback the files (and play along with them).

q3- Sonic Cell will do it- I believe the 5050 does not do any playback.
reidmc

Post by reidmc »

thanks. . .any idea how the SC pianos compare to the SRX-11 samples?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I have not heard the 11 yet. But based purely on waveform size- the 11 has higher fidelity samples (based on the low amount of waveforms for 64GB). That has to count for something. Plus, I remember watching a video on how they recorded the SRX-11 set- a lot of care was put into it.
Megakazbek

Post by Megakazbek »

I think one of SC pianos is based on same recordings as new piano in Fantom G and RD-700GX, as it is also called "Expressive Grand"
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Does the "expressive Grand" has aything to do with the "Superb/Superior Grand"? Dunno which one is on the SRX 11...
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

Isn't the sonic cell piano the same as fantom's but with less velocity layers?

And the SRX-11 piano is probably better than sonic cell's but XV-5050 is not as good machine as SC.

BTW if the price of XV-5050 is same as SC it is a pretty good deal 2 SRX's vost over 500... (acualy I can buy sonic cell here for the price of 2 SRX's, both new)
jef_citron

Post by jef_citron »

i don't feel that the piano of the SC is very good
in a mix is good (even very good) but in a solo is a bit light

I bought the SRX 02 and the samples are far better
(beaucoup plus de corps, de présence)

the SRX 11 is surely far better too
Ludvig

Post by Ludvig »

Personally I would recommend the SRX-11 piano as an addition to SC. What you should put in the other slot is a tricky question. Either you'd go with SRX-12 for great (the best) EP's and clavinets or SRX-07 for organs. The pianos and EP's on SRX-07 is not as good as the ones found on 11 and 12 IMHO.

You can check some of them out here: http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/Flash/srx/index.html

Next step would be to go to a store and try them out.

Best Regards
Ludvig
reidmc

Post by reidmc »

Hi all -

I got a good price on Ebay for a Sonic Cell and like it alot.

And after listening to a few of the SRX cards I am in total agreement with Ludvig. SRX-11 offers better acoustic piano sounds than SC, though there are 3-4 on the SC that are definitely workable. . .more if you are willing to edit.

Main benefit of the SRX-07 card is a variety of usable organs. SC is weak on organs (and clavinets, despite the large number of clavinet type sounds available.) 07 also has a couple of EPs that are nice supplements to the SC.

SRX-12 the best EPs and clavinets.

I will be adding an SRX-11 (for the acoustic pianos) and an SRX-07 (for the organs). That said, if neither card was available I would be fine with my SC.
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

does anyone know how to get more clarity to the piano sound? It sounds pretty muddy IMO, I have to try the filters but ofc the piano sound wont respond to them scince they are turned off or something...
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

maybe play with the different mfx settings. Try enhancer or the eq and tweak it a bit. Also, check your mastering settings to make sure they are not out of whack.
Lastly, try keeping the volume level around the 8 mark.
just some ideas
pip_

Post by pip_ »

I use my Sonic Cell mainly for acoustic piano sounds, and use organs, Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet sounds from time to time.

- The piano sounds on the SRX-11 are much better than Sonic Cell's internal sounds. I like them a lot.
- If you want to have a good Hammond organ simulation, you should definitely try B4real, which now also works on Sonic Cell. It sounds brilliant.
- I think the electric piano sounds on the SRX-12 are the best I have ever heard, including the Clavia Nord Electro.

So if you are looking for piano, organ and digital piano sounds, I recommend to use a Sonic Cell with SRX-11 and SRX-12 cards. I am very happy with my set-up at this moment.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Pip (or anyone with the Piano card),
How many patches do you get on it- I know there are additional patches if you have a piano mode button. Since the SC doesn't have that- what is the total patch count you get?
pip_

Post by pip_ »

I see 42 patches on my Sonic Cell. I don't know whether this is the maximum, but I must say I use only 2 or 3 patches of this piano.