SonicCell controlling external equipment

Forum for SonicCell
HansT

SonicCell controlling external equipment

Post by HansT »

I'm using the Fantom XR as a backing soundmodule for gigs. Since I'm a drummer I use all four audiooutputs on the Fantom for main L/R, clicktrack for routing separately to in-ear monitor, and bass for separat control on my mixer.

That's why I still need my Fantom.

These days I'm planning to buy a new modern midifileplayer with build in USB, so I don't hace to use oldfashion floppy disk to transfer files from my computer. So I'm looking at the SonicCEll. But I don't really need another soundengine. So here is the issue:

Does anyone have experience with SC and controlling external soundmodules, or combining sound from both SC parts and external parts in the same song?

Can the internal parts on the SC be separatly muted and midisignals still be sent to the midi output?

Example: Lets say I use part 1, 2 an 3 on the SCs internal sounds, part 4-10 played from the Fantom.

Hans
avogra

Re: SonicCell controlling external equipment

Post by avogra »

Hi Hans,
i don't see the use in playing your midi files with the soniccell as you have already the fantom. as far as i know, the soundengine and all the parameters are the very same as on the fantom. so everything you want do with the soniccell can also be done with the fantom.
on the other hand, as both soundengines are the same, why would you want to play some of the parts on the soniccell and some on the fantom?
and as a try to answer your question :) : you can mute parts on the soniccell although im not sure if you can save them muted in a performance. if you turn midi passthrough on, the whole file should also be played to the fantom where you would have to disable the parts played by the soniccell. you can try out all that with your fantom, the pc-editor of both is the same for the functions they share ( as far as i can see from screenshots :))
but if you are fine with playing the whole midi file on your fantom and just want a dedicated device to supply midi, i suppose there have to be cheaper ones than the soniccell.

best wishes,

Alex
HansT

what I really need :-)

Post by HansT »

Hi again avogra!
You've understand me right when you say that I don't need the SonicCell synthengine, cause I just need a stand alone midiplayer.

My Fantom is the rackversion with no build in sequenser like the keyboardversion. But it can play midifiles using the internal sound, but that's with a small display and very limited functions. So today I use my old MC-80. Working ok today but an MC-80 never lasts forever.

I'm gonne check out how the SonicCell since this is maybe the only unit in the market for my needs (in addition to MidiJay, which is far more than I need).

People use Pc's these days, but I don't trust pc's in live situations.

What I'm really looking for is a future replacement for my MC-80. I just need a midiplayer with big memory (USB stick or build in flashram) and good display for liveuse. Functions to edit and make playlists setups when on the gigs. Capable to handle instant access to a great number of files.

So, Roland company, if your read this: Make a small midiplayer with livefunctions ! :-)

A midiplayer that looks like this:http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I know you don't want to use a PC- but honestly- if you are using something to playback midi only- why not just use a cheap laptop (even a used one- get 2 for backup). It just seems like the best option for you- and you get a big screen plus a wow factor.
just my 2 cents
avogra

Post by avogra »

Ok, then im sure you won't win anything with the soniccell over the fantom :)
but you are right, those things are meant to be done with computers as it seems. all i found in google as an alternative are the devices by miditemp.
good luck for your search :)

Alex
foreigndude

Using Sonic Cell for live gigs

Post by foreigndude »

Hey everybody,

I was looking at the Roland Sonic Cell specs and tried to see as many videos on Youtube where people are using it. One thing that I want to know in particular is how the MIDI sounds when played on it? The specs say that you can prepare your audio tracks on your PC and then play them on the device by using the USB stick. That's all clear and easy.

Now, if I play the standard MIDI files using this method, how will they sound? What I'm looking to do is to use this for live gigging, primarily for playing the backing tracks. Ideally what I would want to do is take the midi files on my PC, strip off the guitars (at least leads and distorted), the bass, and possibly other things such as annoying effects and licks in certain songs. Basically, I'd end up with a drum track and all the keyboard/piano parts in tact.

So, how would something like this sound when played live in conjunction with live guitars and live bass? I'm guessing the piano/strings and such would sound pretty good, but what about the drums?

Also, now that you know what I'm trying to accomplish, is Roland Sonic Cell an overkill for this? Would you recommend another device instead?

Does anyone have experience with this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Take a Fantom-X engine- add the Fantom G AD/DA- squeeze it all into a tabletop box there you go. It will sound great. Unless you don't like the Fantom X (or even the G) sound. Drums are great. Piano's are great. Pretty much all great sounds (organ's suck imo). But for what you want to do- well- that is what it is really meant for.