Editor shows only GM-Patches and Cubase SE3 VST Problem!

Forum for SonicCell
SonicZak

Editor shows only GM-Patches and Cubase SE3 VST Problem!

Post by SonicZak »

Hello,

i have got 2 problems:

1. Can't Cubase SE 3 use the editor VST ?

I have added soniccells vst folder (c:\Programme\Roland) in VST-PLugins but its listed as unloadable. Editor Standalone Works, but when i use cubase AND editor standalone i get sometimes read/write error from editor. Does this problem come from not using soniccell as vst???
The Manual only tells about Cubase 4...

i have downloaded the Soniccell editor v1.20 from Roland because i thought it might run with cubase se3 but it didn't...
Didn't even ran as Standalone..
Now i reinstalled the old v1.00 but yet all of my patches (except user and GM) are GONE!!
i reinstalled driver and editor again, recalled the factory setting at soniccell but the problem still remains...
i attached a picture at the post.
How do i get back my presets now???

Please help quick

Alex
RobJuno

SL3 also? Does SC editor plugin work with SL3?

Post by RobJuno »

Does anyone else have Cubase > SL3 < (or full cubase 3)and know if the Sonic Cell editor will work as a plug-in?

This won't be a complete answer...

I'm about to buy a Sonic Cell, and I own Cubase SL3 (as came with the Steinberg System4 - sequencer+audio interface, a few years back). From all my reading on the Sonic Cell I am not expecting the editor to run as a VST plugin within anything before Cubase 4. I too have seen written, as Roland put it, (something to the effect of...) 'not guarantee-ing the editor will run on anything earlier', which to me reads as "won't". I would be happy to be proved otherwise though. And I believe SL is a somewhat more comprehensive program than SE3.

I can see the benefit of being able to drive the Sonic Cell like a softsynth, with the host and editor recalling patch and performance set-ups exactly as used in a computer-based project file. I can see the advantages of achieving this without having to save all patches/performances on the Sonic Cell AND keep them resident there AND in the same patch/performance slot numbers!. Even with the Juno G Librarian, which at least gives me a kind of 'return to previous times' function, due to my frequent saving, I've still messed up somehwere along the way by moving patches around (I re-ordered my own patches in the instrument catagory order Roland use (Note to everyone - Don't move patches that are used in performances! I know it's always been like this, but I've still decided it doesn't really matter, because I can always restore my older programming efforts... but deep down I know it'll be a pain come the time I want some old performances back... every knock on effect moving patches has!!!)).

I hope the editor operates in SL3 if I buy SC, because it will function similarly to SVQ song files on the Juno/Fantom, where all patches and performances are recalled as necessary for the song, regardless of whether the patches/performances are even present in the User memory locations on the Synth. Of course, I hope that they are loaded in a temporary fashion and do not overwrite user patches/performances... otherwise this function negates its brilliance altogether!

Meanwhile (god I'm going on) to use the Instrument Definition Fles - as can be automatically generated (for Preset and Expansion sounds) on Rolnad US website - along with the standalone Editor software, would harldy be a huge compromise for me. (these work on SL3, hope they do for you too on SE3). It all boils down to how desperate anyone is to do their synth editing whilst having a host sequencer running.
Keyssion

Re: Editor shows only GM-Patches and Cubase SE3 VST Problem!

Post by Keyssion »

I'm about to revert back to the version 1.10 or whatever the old version was. With the newest editor and system versions the VST plugin doesn't work at all in Cubase SX3 for instance.

P.S. It WORKED with the older system and editor versions!
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Please send this issue to Roland Tech support. Roland Canada has not heard of any issues so please send in to your local country's Roland group.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

I don't see what's wrong with a manufacturer openly stating that some (earlier) software versions *might* work with older software-sequencer hosts. They don't have to promise that they will, but if they know (from their recent programming efforts) that their latest revisions have effectively prevented use with older hosts, they must understand/know why they DID work to some extent in earlier incarnations!
Keyssion

Post by Keyssion »

I sent an E-mail to Roland and they said that they were unaware of the problems concerning the new software versions. They said they'd get back to me as soon as they have checked it out. So good so far :) I was actually surprised how fast they responded to my e-mail! Now I'm waiting for the e-mail with further ideas :)
SonicZak

Post by SonicZak »

As the problem with my presets in the Soniccell Editor still existed, and some of the Presets began to sound unproperly, i went to my local dealer and they sent my Soniccell to Roland to check and repair the unit. I will call my dealer first but I can probably pick it up this saturday.
I'm really looking forward having it back.

Alex
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

As for being suprised how fast Roland responded- I bet they will be very reactive to all Roland users this year- this is not the time to take us for granted!