Sonic Cell OS update 1.20

Forum for SonicCell
mike acosta

Sonic Cell OS update 1.20

Post by mike acosta »

Greetings

The Sonic Cell has just gotten an update revision to 1.20

This update improves some issues related to display, USB Audio, MIDI, and the others. Please refer to the readme120.pdf for the update procedure and detail. For updating the SonicCell, a USB memory, a computer with USB port, and the update file (sonic_cell_up.bin) are required.

Download the new OS update here :

http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... oadId=2142

( Remember you will need a separate USB flash drive to update the Sonic Cell )

and thats not all !!!

The Sonic Cell now has full RTAS Plug-In compatibility for use in ProTools HD , LE and M-Powered systems on Mac & PC. This means you can sequence , edit and control every aspect of the Sonic Cell from within ProTools. We have already shot a very nice video with detailed instructions on how to get going from within ProTools and start creating a song with the new RTAS Plug-In editor featuring yours truly !! :D :D :roll:

The video will hopefully be up within the next 2 weeks or so.

New RTAS editor can be downloaded here for mac & pc :

mac:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... oadId=2308

pc:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... oadId=2307

want more ??

Theres also a new Analog Synth Editor for the Sonic Cell

SonicCell Synthesizer Editor for Windows XP and Windows Vista ( Mac soon to follow )

The SonicCell Synthesizer Editor is an application that lets you edit the SonicCell's parameters from your computer, much as if you were operating a vintage analog synthesizer. The interface looks great just like an old SH synth and its so simple. It basically strips out all other aspects of the Sonic Cell to give you one main screen where you can tweek to your taste & delight. Choose OSC waveforms , 4 tones , ADSR's , LFO's , Filters , AMP etc etc.

At this time it is only available for the PC here :

http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... oadId=2335

Please to enjoy ! :D

This should give you some insight as to the direction for some of our other products :wink:
V-CeeOh

Re: Sonic Cell OS update 1.20

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the update.
I'll make this one sticky.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

This should give you some insight as to the direction for some of our other products :wink:
Now, does that mean that we... are you serious?... no, really??!!
;-)
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

:)

No probs !
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Mike,
I want to thank you for updating us on our Sonic Cell's- I know I get jealous reading all of Dan's stuff on the Fantom G- it was great to see a Roland-ite give us some juicy attention.

Are there going to be updates to the based Sonic Cell driver itself (I see it is still a 1.0 release). Now, maybe there are no issues but I would assume there is always room for improvement on the latency side- or has there been improvement in this area on the Sonic Cell BIOS update itself?
Also, what were the issues on the USB Audio front (in case it was latency-related).

Finally, do you forsee any other additional features being added or just more bux-fix and performance issue updates- or maybe a patch set based on the analogue editor??

Thanks again!
Also, I invite you over to our little dedicated group at Yahoo- Sonic Cell User Group (although most if not all users are here as well)
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

Hey Javaj

Actually the 1.20 update seems to have given the SC a " snappier " response to the editor and control changes , mouse clicks and even patch selection. I could tell the immediate difference once i updated my Sonic Cell and opened up the RTAS editor within Protools.

Not sure if there is an update to the actual USB driver itself coming in the near future.

With this new Analog Synth editor i do see the possibilities of " patch " updates & enhancements.

We shall have to wait and see.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Mike ,
thanks for the new editor it is great.
I especially like the way the mouse wheel can change values in the SC editors.

I have a XV3080 a FantomS and a FantomX8 .
I guess you won't be updating your editors for these machines.

Any chance of making the editors open source? (you only need to change the header along with the 7 waveform locations to make the Synth editor work for any of these earlier machines.

I notice that Roland have some of their software for their Video gear as open source.

I did initially have some trouble with my SC with the 1.20 upgrade. (the sticky message below this one) Is that fixed or was I the only one to have this problem?

It's working really well now.

Thanks again

Royce
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

Rcraven and all Roland XV users !

Heres a cool site that actually had made some very intuitive software editors for some legacy Roland sound modules which includes the XV series and ......

Rcraven , they have an editor for the XV-3080 !!!!

http://www.soundtower.com/

Enjoy !

Not sure if its free but their editor for the MoPho works pretty good so im sure their other stuff works well. I might get the editor for my XV-5080 though.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Mike,
thanks for the link.
I downloaded the software, but unlike your editor it repeatedly froze on me. I had to turn off my Midi Interface to close it down.
So I still don't know if it will do what I would like it to do.

I like your series of editors but I would like to extend them to...
1) Accept a control surface input.
2) Use the mouse wheel - although you later ones do this already

I realise that you have no commercial drive to improve your legacy stuff, which is fair enough, but I thought it would be great to release it to the community.
From a commercial perspective it would be another good reason to invest in your gear knowing that while you were pushing ahead with new tech what I had bought would still be worth something and that if I wanted I could tailor it to my changing needs.

Thanks again

Royce
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi

I thought I would keep you posted about the progress with the XV pro editor.

I have been trying to get the XVpro editor to work on my DAW without much luck but it works perfectly well on the machine I am writing this on.

The response from the developer has been very good, but I am still at a loss to know why it works on one machine and not the other.

Similar machines, the one it doesn't work on has 2G instead of 512M RAM and it has a MidiSport 8x8 and the other a 2x2.

Royce
David Farr

Post by David Farr »

Hi, I am a bit thick, I think. Really want to download analog editor Mike has mentioned .... have followed link but cannot find download. Can someone help. Thanks, Dave(stupid old fart)
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

David
here is the link.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... &skip=true

It is at the bottom of the page 'Synthesizer Editor'
This is the link at the bottom of the page

http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... 100_PC.zip
David Farr

Post by David Farr »

Thank you. David
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I wonder whatever happened to the Mac version of the synth editor. It never did come out.
Cole

Post by Cole »

Hi, I'm new forum member and just purchased a SonicCell. LOVE IT!

Came across this OS update. Changes to Vers. 1.11 to 1.20.

The readme file says to check version before install, my OS is version 1.12.
So my question is can I safely install from version 1.12 to 1.20? I don't see any documentation about my version 1.12 OS ??

thanks in advance.

Cole