Fantom X compatibility

Forum for SonicCell
JEM

Fantom X compatibility

Post by JEM »

Just got SonicCell to replace my X6 mainly for space saving reasons. Love the RTAS editor too.

But just going through the categories and presets, there seem to be some groups missing. Wasn't there a "motion synth" category on the X6? And some of the sounds are gone too like NuRnB Bass and Ringworldz. Both of which I used a lot for soundtrack work.

Can X sounds be ported over to SonicCell?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom X compatibility

Post by Artemiy »

No, the SonicCell cannot read Fantom-X patches directly. Some of the Fantom-X patches can be converted for SonicCell, however, using our in-house software, but only if those patches use the first half of the waveform bank (the second half is not present on the SonicCell). If you have such patches, you can e-mail them to me in Librarian format and I will convert them for you.
JEM

Post by JEM »

Aha, I see. You know everything don't you Artemiy! ;-)

I had no idea it was half a wave bank down from the X. Interesting.

I think the Fantom XR has the same spec as SonicCell then coz I couldn't find these sounds in that either when I had it.

Thankfully I sampled them so all is not lost. :-)

Thanks for the conversion offer though.

J
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

JEM, it's my pleasure to help.

But no, the XR is identical to the X, they have 128 MB wave ROM, and SonicCell has 64 MB ROM which is almost identical to their first 64 MB.
JEM

Post by JEM »

And am I correct in thinking that the first 64 of ROM from the X was based on the wave ROM of the Fantom S? I think I read that somewhere.

So the Sonic is kind of a Fantom S in a box?

Not that I'm complaining, I think it sounds great still.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, correct, the first part of the X ROM is identical to the S. However, on the SonicCell, about 10% of the waveforms are different, and they are arranged in a different way too, this is why it won't read S and X patches without a waveform remap.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Would love to hear what you do with the Sonic Cell- please blog/post.
Thanks
JavaJ
Keyssion

Post by Keyssion »

Hmm, Sonic Cell has 64Megabytes of RAM? It seems that Roland's site says other. It seems to give pretty much exactly the same internal specs than with the Fantom-X?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Yup, Art got confused- Sonic Cell has the same 128MB- and has the majority of the X waveforms (but also has some G waveforms). I did a comparisson last year that should the differences- you can search for it if curious.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

My bad, I was thinking too much about compressed vs. non-compressed equivalents. Indeed the SonicCell seems to have the same amount of ROM as Fantom-X. My apologies!
Keyssion

Post by Keyssion »

Haha, no problem :) I've noticed that Sonic Cell has some strings from the expansion cards? The JV-strings I mean. My friend has a Fantom-X and it didn't have the JV-strings waveforms.