VST problems in Cubase

Forum for SonicCell
rpeatfield

VST problems in Cubase

Post by rpeatfield »

I recently got a Sonic Cell to use with Cubase.
The editor works fine as a standalone but in Cubase (VST plugin) none of the buttons work (like setup) and the drop down menu for changing banks does not work either!

Has anyone else had these problems? Any solutions?
Cubase 5, editor v1.20

All my other plugins (e.g. kontakt) work fine.

BTW, I have sent email to Roland Support but it's been in a pending queue for 2 weeks - pretty quick turnaround ;-)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
pizppizp

Re: VST problems in Cubase

Post by pizppizp »

same here in version 3sl 4studio it works fine also in sx3
but in sl/x 5 have the same problems tried everything u can think of nothing helped
i also appreciate any kinda of help in solving this problem
thanks.
avogra

Post by avogra »

as fas as i know, there were some issues with firmware/editor-version 1.20 and some daw. just search for 1.20 in this forum. mrkeeny got it to work with cubase after reinstall. if this doesn't help, maybe you try the older 1.11 firmware? good luck!
Alex
pizppizp

Post by pizppizp »

i don't really know if the first ver that comes with the sonic cell is 1.11 if so it did not worked either before the update to 1.20
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Is there anyone that is not having a problem with the same setup? If not then definately report it to Roland as they will fix it (eventually).
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

I called Roland Support but the person I spoke to was very unhelpful. He did not believe that I had a problem and seemed to be annoyed that someone had interrupted whatever he was doing.
I will try again and hope to talk to someone else...
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

do you know where I can get the 1.11 version? I searched for it but can't find it.

Thanks,
Robin.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I have it posted on the Sonic Cell User Group at Yahoo groups - in the file section.

And here is the link to the older SC editor.
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/D ... 10(PC).zip
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

Thanks but not much good :-(

I read some other posts (and also Cubase forums) and it seemed like a few people have the same problem.

When I called support, the guy who answered just told me "it works for me with Sonar, it must be you" - he had no clue about Cubase and didn't even seem interested to find out. I have a lot of Roland gear and most of the time I'm very happy with it because it works. This is a bit of an eye-opener when things don't work so well, bad support can really kill a product.

Anyway, the good news is that I got hold of a patch script (which didn't work properly either) but I fixed it up and I use that for selecting patches. I attached it in case anyone else wants to use it.

Robin.
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

FYI, this is how Roland support finally answered the problem.

"Sorry for the confusion. What we found out was since Steinberg redesign Cubase its using a different version of the VST protocol. This version of the VST engine is not supported by our editor on the Sonic Cell. You may have to check with Yamaha who owns Cubase to see if they have a plugin to support the older VST engine.
I hope that this helps answer your request. If you need more assistance in this matter, please either re-submit your support request or contact our Product Support Department at the appropriate number"

Why bother to provide a VST if you are not going to keep it up to date? That's a bit like creating a windows app but as soon as microsoft updates windows the app breaks and then they blame microsoft! If you advertise you have a VST then it should be supported for future updates!
Looks like Yamaha hardware for me in the future...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

That's a bit like creating a windows app but as soon as microsoft updates windows the app breaks and then they blame microsoft!
Of course yes, because in this case Microsoft is the root of the problem.

In case of VST standard, everyone in plug-in business is very unhappy with the latest standard change which caused many troubles. So I understand Roland, even though they are a big company which can afford updating their software.
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

Yes you are right, I probably did not express very well...
I guess what I should have said is that many companies ride windows and make money by selling apps for windows but they should accept that windows does change and part of their business is to deal with that and not blame ms every time they do that but realize that's the price the pay to claim "windows compatible"
In the same way if you say you support VST (to enhance your business opportunities) then there is a price to pay for that and that is to keep up to date with latest changes to VST standards.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Perhaps Roland looked at what it would cost to make the needed changed, and realized that they cannot invest this much for a given SonicCell/Cubase user base. This is the only excuse I can think of. Or, if there is a replacement for this model at the corner (but I doubt this).
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

BTW, I should also note that ALL my other VSTs (most noteably Native Instruments) work fine. So it is all about how much Roland are committed to supporting VST or just do "marketing" around VST.
Oh well...
CFN

Post by CFN »

I have just purchased the SonicCell...use mainly as a sound module. I am using a pretty old version of Cubase (VST 5.1), and have been using SoundFont thru the Audigy soundcard for most of my compositions. So, the SonicCell is a big upgrade for me. I am trying to access the patches from Cubase, but all I can get to is the GM stuff...how do I access the rest of the good stuff in the SonicCell from Cubase?

Robin,

Thanks for creating the patch script...but how can I set your script up? Please help?

Thanks.