How to use USB midi to control computer VST?

Forum for SonicCell
Noteman

How to use USB midi to control computer VST?

Post by Noteman »

Ok well I just downloaded pianotec and some string physical modelling VST demos, anyway; the programs recognize sonic cell just fine. However, NOTHING HAPPENS when I play the keys, like the midi messages wouldnt even be transmitted ( sound comes just fine though if I use the "visual keyboard).

The midi is intially coming from Korg X50; now I know that the USB transmits midi cause sonic cell has to transmit midi to the editor. How can I make it to transmit midi to the other software VSTs?

I couldnt for some reason install the Korg drivers (yup korg really dropped the ball on this one)...
javaj_

Re: How to use USB midi to control computer VST?

Post by javaj_ »

You need to select the Sonic Cell's MIDI input in your DAW (or vst wrapper or standalone). It has nothing to do with the Korg (I assume the Korg is MIDI's into the SC's MIDI in port). The audio is obviously working (I bet you only have the SC as your only ASIO audio interface). Just change the MIDI settings and you should be fine.
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

yea I did exactly that, the software spots the Sonic cell, but doesnt recive midi =(.

anywai I got korg to work so its fine now, I also use the sonic cells FX and the audio bounces from the sonic cell to the computer just fine, its just the midi, maybe I have disabled sonic cell's midi output or something?
avogra

Post by avogra »

hey Noteman,
you have to tell the SC to pass its midi-in to the usb. this is turned off by default. in the system-settings, there is an entry "USB-midi thru" (manual p. 177). thats it :)
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

well thats it then, thanks!
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

Ok, this has worked pretty good so far, but now I have a 2nd problem:

The sonic cell wont make a sound when the midi is set to through.... = / any fixes to this?

Also I would like to use pianoteq to record some stuff with garageband on my mac (its a VST). How could I set this up? There is no way to record the computers audio in garageband that I know off...

Thanks...
Noteman

Post by Noteman »

Ok, this has worked pretty good so far, but now I have a 2nd problem:

The sonic cell wont make a sound when the midi is set to through.... = / any fixes to this?

Also I would like to use pianoteq to record some stuff with garageband on my mac (its a VST). How could I set this up? There is no way to record the computers audio in garageband that I know off...

Thanks...