Sonic cell + Akai EWI4000s

Forum for SonicCell
fmgrilo

Sonic cell + Akai EWI4000s

Post by fmgrilo »

Olá,
Eu gostava, se fosse possível, que alguém me pudesse dar umas dicas sobre como configurar os sons que vêm com o módulo por forma a saírem perfeitos quando tocados via MIDI pela Akai EWI4000s.
É que alguns sons, por exemplo Sax Tenor, Sax Alto, e outros não se ouvem correctamente.
Se alguém me puder ajudar, eu agradeço.
FMGRILO
(Translated text)
Hello,
I liked, if possible, someone could give me some tips on how to configure the sounds that come with the module in order to come out perfect when played via MIDI by AKAI EWI4000s.
Is that some sounds, for example Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, and others will not hear properly.
If anyone can help me, I appreciate it.
FMGRILO
karlosserio

Re: Sonic cell + Akai EWI4000s

Post by karlosserio »

Boas. Eu tenho um SonicCell também e a tua questão vai de encontro às caracteristicas do EWI. É necessário saber que tipo de mensagens midi é que ele transmite e em que canais, e o range dinâmico (vol. 0 a 127). Digo isto porque muitos dos sons da Roland têm que ser tocados em velocidades altas para aparecer o ataque à "frente" do som e não aquele efeito de synbrass mais indesejado. Vê as mensagens midi com um programa de computador tipo MIDI-Ox (se não estou enganado). É curioso, mas se descobrires em tempo real o que o EWI está a transmitir vais poder programar o teu interface dos dois lados (controlador/módulo) de forma a aproveitar o melhor dos dois mundos. Posso te dizer que descobri à pouco tempo que os stage pianos da Yamaha produzem mensagens de velocidade bastante instáveis, tornando certos sons de pianos externos bastante "saltitões", caracteristica que pode ser compensada calculando o toque do instrumentista e corrigindo as "velocity layers" no módulo.

P.S.: To other readers, sorry about writing in Portuguese, but it seemed easier to explain and faster.
fmgrilo

Post by fmgrilo »

Karlosserio,
Agradeço imenso a tua informação mas os meus conhecimentos acerca do assunto são tão escassos que não dão para entender o tipo de linguagem que utilizas para me explicar a situação. De qualquer modo, agradeço-te o facto de teres respondido ao meu apelo.
Já agora, desculpa a minha ousadia, vives em Portugal? Será que posso contactar contigo através de email ou mesmo telefone? Assim talvez fosse mais fácil explicares-me, se é que estás nessa disposição, de maneira a eu compreender as operações a realizar.
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

Em resposta ao teu pedido de auxilio, envio-te o meu email: karlos.serio@gmail.com, se puder te ajudar. Quando estava a dizer para utilizares um programa midi é seguindo este raciocínio (espero ser linear):
- O teu EWI transmite informação midi para o módulo, ou seja, eles conversam entre si, mas apenas o módulo reproduz a conversa, o EWI é o autor do conteúdo; - os módulos têm uma programação base cingindo-se a níveis estatística de fabricantes, não sendo seguro que estejam 100% compatíveis com o teu EWI, ou seja o que para o EWI pode ser um som pp para o módulo pode ser mf; - finalmente, é necessário perder algumas horas a mexer com ambos encontrando a adaptação melhor.
Se puderes na tua próxima mensagem especifica o que sentes que falta ao som: está baixo, muito suave, pouco ataque? tem um inicio brusco e decai bruscamente?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

let me guess.... you guys are comparing sizes. ;)
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

:) Nicely said!
I was just helping a fellow contryman, in our native language. Just some normal guidelines to start tweaking his MIDI messages and study a bit how to EWI transmits those messages to the SonicCell. If someone as a EWI or can give a hand in finding useful information (maybe a EWI forum?), please help!

[comparing sizes: good one :)!]
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Could you update your posts with English translations underneath. Not sure what is being discussed but I have an EWI USB (and Sonic Cell of course) and have worked on some basic patches but am not satisifed with them. You might be offering some insights or may have questions I might be able to answer.
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

1 st message translation: Hi. I have a SonicCell also and your doubts are related to the EWI controller caracteristics. It's important to know wich MDI messages your controller is transmiting and in wich channels, and the dynamic range (0-127). I'm expressing this since a lot of Rolands wind sounds need High velocity switchs so the sounds gets that "atack first" caracther and not the unwanted synthbrass effect. Check your midi messages with programs like MIDI-OX (if i got it right). If you understand what messages your EWI is transmitting you can control both sides of the comunicattion and get the best results. I can share with you that i recently found that Yamaha's stage pianos are pretty instable in terms of velocity messages, making some external piano sounds pretty "bumpy"; fact that can be compensated with measuring the players touch and altering the velocity layers parameters in the sound module.
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

2 nd message translation:
Answering your previous request here is my email: karlos.serio@gmail.com.
When i was talking about using a midi program the point was:
- your EWI transmits information to the module, in other terms, they speak to each other, but only the sound module tells the tale, the EWI is just the sender; - sound modules have a base programing made of standard levels in agreement with manufacturer specs, so it's not guaranteed to be 100% compatible with your EWI; in other way, a pp sound for the EWI can be a mf sound for the sound module; - finally, you have to spend some hours programming to find the best compatability between both ends.
If you can, specify what you feel lacks in your sound: is it low, to soft, with no attack? As it got a sudden rise and a quick fall after?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Check out the files section at the Yahoo Groups Sonic Cell user group- there were some ewi-enabled patches to try out.