Fix VST integration with Cubase 5

Forum for SonicCell
rpeatfield

Fix VST integration with Cubase 5

Post by rpeatfield »

Any chance someone from Roland reads this forum?
There have been several posts about VST problems with Cubase 5 (even acknowldged by Roland support) but it would be nice to see those fixed in an update.
Cubase is an industry leader and falling behind with supporting Cubase VST is (imho) going to deter people from purchasing roland products...
da-man

Re: Fix VST integration with Cubase 5

Post by da-man »

I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that VST's are virtual (software) instruments and effects. Sonic Cell is hardware like a Fantom or Motif or Korg etc....

Thus the way you access the two is completely different.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong here.
avogra

Post by avogra »

da-man, basically you're right. but roland offers an vst, that acts like the editor, so you can remote control it in a daw.
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

That's correct. It's so SonicCell can be integrated into a DAW like Cubase. Unfortunately it does not work in Cubase 5 like it should do :-(
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

so what exactly is the issue in Cubase anyways?
pizppizp

Post by pizppizp »

the issue is that when you open the vst sonic cell u cannot change preset and cannot tweak knobs because they stuck :(
cubase 3 works fine all working 5=not
eminence

Post by eminence »

I read on the roland uk forum that nuendo 4 works which is kind of like cubase 4 but better.
John Sweeney

Post by John Sweeney »

Hi Everyone,

Roland R&D in Japan are now working on this issue and hope to make an update available for the VSTi editor interface. Unfortunately we cannot confirm the time schedule for this at the moment. http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/870/

Regards

John
Deniroh

Post by Deniroh »

3+ months and no update? holding my breath...

Damage control only works when you actually deliver a fix to your customers. PR can only goes so far as actions speak louder than words.

Thanks for trying. I only wish R&D shared your enthusiasm :(
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

It is a little disappointing that we have heard nothing for 3 months.
We can't really complain too much to John though because I have to say that he did try very hard to raise this issue with Roland. It does appear that at least in the UK Roland have some knowledgeable and customer focused people. My experience here is that Roland support were/are completely useless and did not even know what I was talking about and never even acknowledged a problem.
The only thing I can say and advise is - you have a lot of information that will guide you in future product purchases...
Deniroh

Post by Deniroh »

Maybe John shouldn't be overly optimistic that Roland will provide a fix. At this rate, Cubase 6 will be out and will have to revisit this issue all over again...

pathetic
mistletoe

Post by mistletoe »

Hi,

Has anyone tested the VST Editor in Cubase 5.5 yet?

If so please provide experience(s) and any results.

Greetings
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

Yes. It's even worse, it hangs cubase when you try to do anything (e.g. select a button in the VST window)

If you are using it as a standalone sound generator then it's fine, nice tones. If you want to use it with any DAW other than Sonar (Roland owns Sonar) then forget it, buy something else because like me you will be extrremely disappointed.

Roland have "apparently" been working on a soluton for over 6 months but at this point I'm not holding my breath anymore. I used to be a big supporter of Roland products (I really like their sounds) but I have to have a product that integrates with the rest of my equipment and Roland are showing a big lack of interest in working with anything else other than other roland equipment.
mistletoe

Post by mistletoe »

I think the reason is because the Editor (VST Version) is trying to access midi ports by its' own volition, which under the specification is not (any longer) allowed.
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

There are way more problems than that. You can check out some of the other threads for the details. I can't even bother with it anymore, I have purchased Komplete 6 - it works perfectly with Cubase. My Sonic Cell is gathering dust...