What could be causing this? Please Help Urgent

Forum for SonicCell
varsity

What could be causing this? Please Help Urgent

Post by varsity »

I am getting sustained notes for no reason.... Just to be clear.... I play and a note will just hang as if I pressed the sustain pedal. I changed to 3 different pedals, still happened, unplugged and played with no sustain pedal hooked up & it still happened. I even changed controllers twice (yamaha kx88 & CME UF7 & Studiologic vk) and it still happens.... Please help I have sooo much work to do before the weekend gig.... Thanks in advance.
avogra

Re: What could be causing this? Please Help Urgent

Post by avogra »

Hi varsity,

phew, that's strange. i know, a few people had similar issues with synths with integrated keybed. i'm not sure, what the reason was there. you might wan't to do a search on "sustain" and look what helped them.

Only thing i experienced with the SonicCell:
When i disconnect the midi-cable while a key is pressed, it will obviously sustain. The interesting point there is: even if i plug the the cable back in and press&release the same key, it will further sustain. that's even the case, when i change to a different patch/performance. at first i had the feeling, that this individual key will hang. only thing, that turned it off, was pressing the panic-button on my keyboard or turning the SC off and back on.

In your case, it might be, that your first keyboard has a fault, not sending note-off on those keys. when you plug in a second keyboard, the note is still on in the SC, although it already decayed, so it will sustain also on that second keyboard. attach your second keyboard and turn the SC off and back on.

If it still happens, there has to be another fault. i doubt, it's the SonicCell, as there are no mechanical parts inside, that could get damaged. maybe the midi-cable?

I hope that helps, or one of the other threads about sustaining notes,

Good Luck!
Alex
varsity

Post by varsity »

Thanks for your response,

Yeah, I'm going nuts because this is only happening with the sonic cell and not any other module I have. Also it's not just a particular key/note just every now and then a note will hang. I use the sonic cell for live stuff and I think I'm screwed for tonight.... Uggggghhhhh
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

Save your user bank and do a factory reset. It's the fastest solution. After reload your user bank.

I think that the issue your having with the SoniCell was similar to a problem i had with a diferent synth, a Korg Triton. When you input a pedal that has reverse polarity on startup the synth asssumes reverse polarity for all patches, so... when you strike a key the sustain will be permanently on, doing the opposite that it should.
Either from this i must warn you that CME keyboards are the worst piece of equipment i ever had... I had one and had to sell it shortly after i bought it because of faulty midi messages (notes hanging, velocity jumps from one key to the other, irregular midi values, etc). So try using the SonicCell with a regular synth, to see if the problem persists.
varsity

Post by varsity »

I hear ya on the CME the worst purchase (musically) I have ever made. At the time I couldn't find a 76key controller locally to save my life and I thought I would like it at first. Now I am pretty much stuck with it....

I tried factory reseting it but I will have to try the polarity thing because that has to be it, I will report back after work.
Thanks again
varsity

Post by varsity »

That was it, Thanks soooo much for your help....