Windows Vista 32-bit driver fails to install

Forum for SonicCell
cwjohan

Windows Vista 32-bit driver fails to install

Post by cwjohan »

Has anyone had experience with this problem? During the install of the SonicCell_VistaDrv100 driver, Vista complains about the driver not being signed (or something like that) and then, after clicking "install anyway", the install hits the last dialog window where it says to plug in the USB cable and turn on the Sonic Cell. When I do so, Vista complains "USB device not recognized". Yes, all other USB cable were unplugged and virus scanners turned off.

The Sonic Cell firmware is at version 1.20. Vista is at version 6.0 (build 6001: Service Pack 1). Tried Service Pack 2 but it failed to install. The PC hardware is Intel Core 2 Quad.

I've tried many things to get around this problem. Uninstalling, re-installing, unplugging and re-pluggine the cable, uninstalling the cell editor and sythesizer editor, using different USB ports, booting with the Sonic Cell on, and many others. Yet I always get the same response when plugging in the USB cable: "USB device not recognized". It is as if the driver didn't install at all. In fact there is no evidence that the driver installed, at least in the program menus. The Device Manager USB section shows "Unrecognized device". When I run the cell editor or the synth editor or librarian, the midi device input and output dropdowns don't show any Sonic Cell device.

Does anyone know how to get past this????
javaj_

Re: Windows Vista 32-bit driver fails to install

Post by javaj_ »

Try a different USB cable :)
Also, try running the installation package as administrator.
I have never had that issue on my Vista maching (which is not running Win 7 beta). Do you have a logitech USB webcam by chance (if so, try uninstalling the drivers for that). It could be that there are some USB drivers installed that is causing the issue (likely not allowing the SC to add itself to the registry).

Also, do you have a second system that you can try the install on?
cwjohan

Post by cwjohan »

Thanks, javaj, for the suggestions. The USB cable works for another midi USB device I have (Line 6 Toneport UX1), so it should work for this one, no? Or are there other considerations?

I assume my machine supports USB2 properly. Device Manager shows USB2 controllers.

I have a Microsoft Web Cam.

Found the following files on my machine after the install:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directory of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\rdif1070.inf_09e504

28/09/2009 10:02 PM .
28/09/2009 10:02 PM ..
28/09/2009 10:02 PM 2,442 component.man
19/12/2006 09:00 AM 4,088 RD3T1070.DAT
18/06/2007 01:27 PM 102,400 RDAS1070.DLL
18/06/2007 01:26 PM 12,800 RDCI1070.DLL
18/06/2007 01:26 PM 61,440 RDCP1070.CPL
18/06/2007 01:26 PM 270,336 RDDP1070.DAT
18/06/2007 01:46 PM 6,847 RDID1070.CAT
18/06/2007 01:42 PM 9,988 Rdif1070.inf
18/06/2007 01:26 PM 139,392 RDWM1070.sys
9 File(s) 609,733 bytes
2 Dir(s) 123,257,233,408 bytes free
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it "looks" installed. Maybe its missing something. The component.man files show the following ids, maybe it is wrong: pnpID="USB\VID_0582&PID_00C2"
Do you have the same list of files in the same directory? Are your ids the same? Is your Sonic Cell firmware version 1.20?
cwjohan

Post by cwjohan »

Forgot to answer your last question, javaj. Nope, I don't have another Vista system, just an old laptop with Windows 2000. Seabass at Long & McQuade tried installing or using a pre-existing driver for my Sonic Cell on his XP machine and it worked OK, my wife says. I wasn't there at the time. So, at least we know the machine can work through the USB connection.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Hey fellow Canuck (where are you located- I am in Calgary).
You mentioned your other USB device- have you removed it's drivers- just in case there is a conflict between the 2 driver sets? Of course, the last resort is to reinstall Vista and start from scratch (which can be a liberating experience when you get new hardware). If the SC worked on other systems than we know that it is driver related to your OS. But finding it may not be worth the time, effort and frustration- could be a good time to look into Windows 7
cwjohan

Post by cwjohan »

I'm in Vancouver, javaj.

Uninstalling the Line 6 Toneport UX1 drivers may be too painful for me, since I use them frequently and in several different applications. You're right, though. It's one thing about my system that probably is different from the others. I seem to be the only person having this problem.

Is the experience good with Windows 7 and Sonic Cell (e.g., good latency)?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I wiped Vista off my laptop and went with Win 7 beta- it ran all of my audio apps better. I haven't ran everything through its paces but the fact that all my apps just worked and performed better on 7 was good enough for me. I ordered 2 Win 7 upgrades when they had that short term promo out (for $65 each). Can't wait to wipe and do a full new install (I did the upgrade from Vista and it worked with all my existing drivers- including the Sonic Cell). Plus DPC latency numbers are so much better now (and thus I can do lower latency settings on my audio devices- including the SC).

So looking at what you are doing- I concur that you are installing the correct driver (just downloaded it from Roland and it is the same driver from 2007).
But you said something interesting- the latest service pack failed when you tried to install it. I would have to say that this makes it seem that your OS is the issue and not the SC. If the service pack won't load- you could have some corrupt files that are causing the issue (or virus/malware/etc). Honestly, consider doing a clean install.
Reinstall Vista and only do the updates (don't surf anywhere else). Once all the windows updates are done- enable your firewall/AV softwae (if you are using one). Then install your Line 6 first and get that working. then do the sonic cell. I bet you will have success.
cwjohan

Post by cwjohan »

Hi javaj,

I got windows 7 Home Premium and installed it "clean" (couldn't get the upgrade to work) -- "clean" install doesn't wipe the C: drive but does rename the old windows directory and user AppData, which means you have to install drivers and all applicatins from scratch.

I tried installing the Vista driver in windows 7 (before the Line 6 stuff), but it behaved exactly as before in Vista (unrecognized device). Boo hoo.

Next I'll try some compatibility mode if there is one. Then, if it's not working, I'm going to throw my PC in the trash and get a Mac. ;-)

Cheers,
Craig

PS: Can't reply to any messages for about two weeks.