SC / Juno-G Patch Variation

Forum for SonicCell
RobJuno

SC / Juno-G Patch Variation

Post by RobJuno »

A question for those (if any!) who have in-depth experience of both instruments...

I appreciate that a lot of the waveform ROM is shared between the Sonic Cell and the Juno-G (as for the Fantom X likewise), and having created several spreadsheets I appreciate the Sonic Cell has some extra chunks of samples devoted to acoustic/electric pianos, electric basses, strings and drums.

Is there sufficient variation in patch programming between the instruments for any Juno-G owner to consider a Sonic Cell as an accompanying device? The 2 SRX slots in the SC is of interest to me too. I have SRX-07, 98, 97, the latter I'm going to sell, but I quite fancy the 09 world card. The three slots between the Juno and SC would be perfect. But, that practical issue aside, I'm wondering if there is enough variation in patch programming of the base SC, compared with the JG to at least feel like it's not a total doubling up of what I already have.

Any knowledge?
javaj_

Re: SC / Juno-G Patch Variation

Post by javaj_ »

Sorry Rob, don't know beyond the spreadsheets I did up.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Thanks javaj, I had an inkling you'd be first to reply, and probably best placed to answer. What I didn't add in my first post was my pondering whether some of the patches with different names are even different at all, or such slight variation, to patches from other synths in the range.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

As far as I know, the SonicCell is heavily based on the JUNO-G, with an addition of new patches and some other ones from the Fantom-X. So I assume their internal soundsets are the same by at least 75%. I have nothing to worry about here, though, keeping in mind that you will have SRX boards and that you can install the other free/commercial patches that you may have.