Next Roland Sound Module?

Forum for SonicCell
RobJuno

Next Roland Sound Module?

Post by RobJuno »

What are Roland going to do next in the world of sound modules?

I'm intrigued. I bought my Juno-G in late 2007. I was studying a marketing degree at the time (for all the good it's done me graduating in to the UK's recession), and so I have been interested to watch where the product line is going. I think it's difficult to see where they can go next.

It strikes me that both the SC and Fantom XR have been around for quite a while, yet are difficult or unecessary to replace because they are spot-on what people have wanted. It seems to me that a lot of complaints about the Fantom G is that it doesn't replace people's favourite patches from the SRX collections, and that ARX's have been slow to appear and expensive. So I can understand how the XR hasn't been deleted from the product line-up. The Sonic Cell's feature/price ratio was so good, it's difficult to see how more could be charged for anything that is less.

A year ago, the SC at around £425 was an amazing bargain, now around £510 is probably still reasonable. The XR a year ago at £825 seemed reasonable for a professional most expandable sound module, yet clearly carried a premium over the SC or Juno-G for this expandability, which when comparing the synth capabilities of the base units un-expanded (and taking account of the JG and SC's additional features), looked quite expensive. Now the XR has been £1,000+ for a long time again, which is hard to swallow when the X keyboards went out with a flourish in late 2007 with 4 free expansion boards (2 normal SRX + 97&98) for £999. It's even harder to swallow now SRXs are around £235, I got 07 for £145 new in January this year. What I am saying is, promotions (that aren't present) aside, an XR with just 2 normal SRXs now is going to cost around £1,500.

Are there always new buyers for existing products? New people to the world of synths? Or do you reach a point where the vast majority of people who are going to buy an XR or SC have already done so?

With the G6 at around £1900, there is surely no way a G module could undercut or match the XR. But I can't see people buying it if it's more expensive. Is a Fantom G module ever likely? Has the G series been successful? Is this the wrong economic time to launch a new module that would be more expensive that the XR?

My guess is that a quirky module might appear for around £900-£1000. How about something like a Sonic Cell on steroids... still table-top in form (so as to appear different to the XR which may remain available) but maybe larger, which allows it to have a big quality screen, a claim to have a waveform set that includes certain elements of the SC/JG/X and FG, in addition to some that none of those instruments have. Two pairs of outputs, like the JG. How about one ARX and two SRX slots (no, they'd probably say one SRX as per Juno-G). And the audio/MIDI player elements of the SC.

Yes, that's what I'd propose Roland... now may I have a job please? LOL (No, seriously)

I think I'm going to start using a strapline in my posts that says...
"It's sad the Juno-G's expandability was limited for the sake of Fantom X sales."

And I wouldn't add the next bit, but will here...
(Because frankly, I think of the JG as more of a pro sound creating tool than the Juno-Stage, which was allowed two, after the X was discontinued. Pesky Roland!)
RobJuno

Re: Next Roland Sound Module?

Post by RobJuno »

My first post was edited plenty, I finally completed it at 15:15 GMT, in case anyone read it sooner.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hmm... I don't know what to say about this. If Roland ever had in mind to release a rack-version of the Fantom G, I guess they would have done it by now. Maybe they think about the fact that if such a rack doesn't exist then this could increase the sellings for the keyboards (mainly for G6). I don'n know... I guess that we don't have anything left to do but to wait until the next NAMM show. Personally I must say I am "desireless" regarding such a rack module because of the G8 and I rather wait for some sophisticated ARX card (and, of course, a few improvements in the OS. That's everything I want from you Roland :) )
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

I'd rather take a "Sonic cell meets GW8 in the same small enclosure". small box, audio card, srx slots, audio key (rocks big time), Aaaaaaaaand.... , ladies and gentlemen, here comes auto-accompaniment in a box! (through MIDI and USB).
Now THAT's a kiiler. Korg and Yamaha go and spend R&D department's million $$$ to put on the market 2,5 grand (or more) pro keyboards??? THIS will kill them. Why spend all money on crack and expensive keyboards? It's much simpler to get a G6 (or a VP-770) and this new little box having auto-accompaniment (yes, I know I'm raving). I do hope the future (and its designers) won't dissapoint me.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Actually I think that is a very good idea, Parsifal. A "GW8" in a box.
To that I would add 16 Sensitive (High Quality) PADS and Drum Phrases capability (not included in SC).
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Just an idea, but I would like to see a real Next Generation GrooveBox.
It could be an MC-707 (We know the seven is a lucky number:)
What it should have : V-Synth GT engine, huge touchscreen led display.
And something interesting, rather than the pads it needs a total recall controlling surface like the Monome under the display, left side the Time Trip pad, right side a ribbon controller with X-Y and force detection (Z).
And a much much more SIMPLE and USABLE File Management System.
USB2 is a must! (We're living in the XXI.th Century!) multitrack via usb2 (like Adat)
Project base is OKAY.

I'm dreaming in a Dream :)

" Hold on to Your Dreams! "

Attila
ProSonic

Post by ProSonic »

I don't now the Roland next goal about sound module. Maybe a FantomG Rack...

But I hope to see, as soon as possible, upgrades to the Sonic Cell.
For example increase the feature of "Favourite sounds" category, where to put our best patches to find in a fast way. And more "User patch".
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

That's not a specific module problem, all Roland keyboards and modules should have a search function for patches, performances, arps, patterns, songs, mp3s (audio key), samples and regular waveforms.

P.S. Having so many patches and so many favourites we might need a new "favourite of the favourites" category :) But that would be a stunted approach :D
cminor

Post by cminor »

I really hope that Roland won't release a new Sond module, and release a new OS for Fantom-XR.
Fantom-XR is a monster module, but it still can be tuned within with a new OS.
Maybe a bigger CF with import/export patches, and packaging a patch with its samples (not the actual list), or layering more the 4 layers, some new features from Fantom-G and V-Synth (the new pitchbend mode)...