SysEx Message Reset

Forum for SonicCell
GSPro

SysEx Message Reset

Post by GSPro »

Hello forum, just purchased a SonicCell and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to send a system reset via SysEx, registered/recorded on a midi file to the SonicCell like you would for a GM reset F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7 or GS reset F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7. This is to use SonicCell Sounds.

2) Is there a way to transmit SysEx from the SonicCell to a DAW? Let's say, I've selected an EFFX and as the EFFX is being adjusted, it transmits SysEx to the DAW on the computer.

3) Last question. For the SonicCell Editor to work, do I still need to connect the USB cable or it will work with just the midi In/Out connections?

Any answers on these matters are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
avogra

Re: SysEx Message Reset

Post by avogra »

Hi, congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum :)
i think, i can help you on most points.

1) i looked up the implementation for GM / GS reset in the manual. on page 251, your sysex messages are referred to as "GM/GS System on" changing into GM/GS Mode. The other modes available in the SC are Patch- and Performance-Mode.
you can change to those with the following sysex-messages:
F0 (sysex starts)
41 (roland)
10 (device-id, 10 is default)
25 (soniccell)
12 (data-set, used whenever you want to change settings in the unit)
(start of address, see page 257ff)
00 (setup)
00 (sound mode)
00 (data: 00=patch-mode, 01=performance, 02=GM1, 03=GM2, 04= GS)
7F (checksum for patchmode, see page 275. for the soundmode, this is simply 7F - data, eg. 7E for Performance-Mode)
F7 (end of sysex)

i always comment sysex-messages in the hope, that people get the hang of it :)

2) if you go to menu -> system -> system midi, there's a setting "Tx Edit Data". This will send every change, you do on the unit, as sysex-message to midi-out. i think, it will also send it to usb-midi, but i'm not entirely sure.

3) it should work also with the midi in/out connections, but i'm not sure again :-P

another point, that took me some time to understand is, how "USB-midi-through" in the System-menu and "Soft Through" in System-menu -> System-midi work. i wanted to use the soniccell as midi-interface for other gear, but those are often causing trouble, so it's good to know, what they do.
"USB-midi-through" will make the SC ignore anything, that is received at the midi-in connector. instead it will be forwarded to usb-midi.
"Soft through" does the opposite and forwards everything from usb-midi to the midi-out connector. Don't ask me, why they aren't both in the same menu :)
in order to use the SC as pure midi-interface, both settings have to be turned on apparently, but beware, if you turn one on by accident.

I hope i did help you, Cheers :)
Alex
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi avogra and thank you for the prompt reply.
So if I got this right, the following SysEx message resets the SonicCell in "Performance" mode:
F0 41 10 00 00 25 12 01 00 00 00 01 7E F7. Is this correct?

Thank you again.
avogra

Post by avogra »

Jepp, that's it!
lodevo62

Post by lodevo62 »

Hi, would it be the same sysex to switch a PMA-5 to GM/GS mode or standard mode? i imagine i would have to change 25 (soniccell) to xx(PMA-5) ?
Where can i find this number?
Regards
Laurent