Ha! SonicCell doesn't work with my Xboard.

Forum for SonicCell
Musicfan

Ha! SonicCell doesn't work with my Xboard.

Post by Musicfan »

I just received a SonicCell today. Hooked it up to the old E-MU Xboard and no go. Connected the midi board to my little Mopho and everything worked fine. I got this thing at an outstanding price in excellent cosmetic condition used so I thought I'd been had.

I was about ready to shake my fist in the air and curse out loud lol. Had a hunch and connected it to my old JP8000 and everything is fine. The Xboard was powered via USB so maybe that had something to do with it. Weird. Anyhow, as it turns out so far the SonicCell is awesome. I only wished I had picked up one of these sooner.
John Sweeney

Re: Ha! SonicCell doesn't work with my Xboard.

Post by John Sweeney »

Sonic Cell can provide power for some USB keyboards from the memory key socket. This does stop you using a memory key though. The keyboard must be able to be powered via USB, but still output midi data on a standard midi connector. This must be input to the Sonic Cell to control it.
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

Great. Going to try that to see if it works, but I'm going to need a new midi keyboard anyhow if I can't get the emu to work because I want to integrate it with my pc. The Mopho works fine with a regular midi cable and the keyboard being plugged into my pc. Anyone have any idea?
John Sweeney

Post by John Sweeney »

yes, you could just get a charger for an iPod which plugs into the mains and has a usb connection on it for charging any USB device. This could power the keybaord via USB while you connect up.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I run my X-Station 61 from the Sonic Cell's USB port with no issues (nice to have only one power cable to deal with on the stage when I do it this way)..
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

I've ordered a wallwart 6v 300mA adapter for the Xboard. I'm going to see if that makes a difference. I have a hunch that there's not enough signal going out from the Xboard to trigger the SonicCell via midi. My Mopho might require less. There have been others on the net reporting similar symptoms when using usb power with other keyboards and equipment so its worth a try.
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

No dice. Regardless of power connections the EMU Xboard doesn't want to control the SonicCell via midi cable. I've tried two different cables. Maybe in some weird way these two pieces of hardware are not compatible? I'm using the JP8000 for now and I'll see if I can get an Edirol PCR to try soon. If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

This might sound dumb but still try. You know how to test a 9 volt battery, right? Stick it on your toungue. Well, plug your midi cable to your Xboard's midi out- and stick the other end on your tongue- you should feel 5 volts going through. If not, try a different cable. You might want to do the same thing on your midi out on your sonic cell for comparissons. I am curious if your board is not putting out the proper 5 volts over midi as it should.
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

Just connected an open box Edirol PCR to the SonicCell via midi cable. It didn't work, but I think it's broken anyhow. It won't control the Mopho either, and so it's getting shipped back. I'm not having good luck. No more open boxes. I had a brand spanking new PCR shipped today. It'll be here in a few days. I'm planning to have the local Roland service center take a look at the SonicCell as a backup plan. At least I'm lucky to have one close by.
Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

All is well. Connected the SonicCell to a new Edirol PCR 800 and it rocks. However there is a setting in the PCR that requires adjusting in order to use it as a standard midi controller for a module. If you're having trouble check the manual on page 76. I beleive the correct setting is there.

If anyone is wondering about these newer Edirol PCR controllers I'm very happy with the purchase. I don't think I could have done better for the price. It comes with Sonar LE, which when registered entitles you to the full producer edition of Sonar 8.5 for $249. That's an awesome deal at half off.

As to the feel of the keys. It pretty much has the same keys as the JP 8000. If you like those you'll love the PCR. Yes, I'm certain because I have a JP 8000 sitting right beside the PCR. They may not be exact millimeter per millimeter in some respects, but you can hardly tell the difference. I think the JP 8000 keys play a little lighter. The keys are very easy to play.