Looking for unbiased opinion or information

Forum for SonicCell
eminence

Looking for unbiased opinion or information

Post by eminence »

Hi,

I'm interested in the Sonic Cell sound module but what I'd like to know is since it has 4 tone generators, does that matter when say compared to a Motif XS?

I was considering the ES as well since now yamaha are going to support it via Studio Connections software on Windows 7.

If anyone has any experience here, it would be most helpful.

Thank you
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Looking for unbiased opinion or information

Post by Artemiy »

The SonicCell has the same sound engine as the Fantom-X. This means, each patch consists of 4 tones, but since these are stereo tones, you can actually use up to 8 waveforms because left and right waveform settings are independent. Getting further, each of the four tones gets a filter, 3 envelopes, 2 LFOs (including 16-step programmable LFO), various playback settings (velocity range, keyboard range, tone delay, key off trigger, etc.) In addition, each pair of tones can be joined into a "structure" which also includes serial filter connection, ring modulator and overdrive/booster. And you have a great control matrix that can send envelopes/LFOs to any custom destination, including controlling the MFX effects processor.

So it's very, very powerful and flexible.
javaj_

Re: Looking for unbiased opinion or information

Post by javaj_ »

It makes nice sounds- really nice sounds. So if you are looking for the Roland sound in a small formfactor- and plan on getting 2 SRX cards to max the baby out- it is well worth it. But I would be curious why you are even looking at these 2 in the first place- have you considered VST's- since for the same money- you can get a lot of sound tools. Are you performing (and thus can use the sound file playback option on the Sonic Cell)? Do you plan on using a guitar/mic/keyboard routed through the Sonic Cell's internal effects? Do you need a 2in/2out sound card?
Just throwing stuff out there to help you in you decision.