Snaps and Pops in Recording?

Forum for SonicCell
freshaudio

Snaps and Pops in Recording?

Post by freshaudio »

Greetings folks,

I'm a new member of the forum. I've had my Sonic Cell for about two months and am loving it (using it both for its patches with my EWI and as an audio interface for computer recording). All has been working well with the latter until recently.

I'm recording through Acid w/ 3 gigs of ram, 2.20 intel core duo, and Vista. I can record using the sonic cell's sounds (w/ my EWI or midi keyboard) but when I try to record via mic (w/ or w/o effects) I get snaps and pops. This doesn't happen while monitoring before beginning to record. Anybody have advice? I've tried experimenting with different latency rates to no avail...

Any help would be much appreciated,

Joe Edwards
joeplays.com
javaj_

Re: Snaps and Pops in Recording?

Post by javaj_ »

I believe we had this discussion at the SC user group forum- so I will just state my opinion.
Drop Vista and upgrade to Windows 7- that cured my EWI issues first off- and now Roland has released official Win 7 drivers so you are set.

Of course- you could always switch to Mac hahahahaha!
nc

Post by nc »

I'm not sure that this is your problem but I'm going to mention it anyway in case someone has the same problem I had. The first time I tried using the soniccell and sonar le to record I would hear pops in the playback but not in the monitoring. It turns out that it was my wireless network card searching for a signal. Now I turn that off when I record and haven't had the problem since.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Like Javaj said, drop Vista !! and go to windows 7 (or Mac :-) ).
I had this kind of problems with Vista, but as son as I upgraded to 7, my problems disappeared.

On the other hand, Acid is very demanding regarding computer resources, so one more reason to go to 7.

Tip: Connect the SC to the computer via a direct USB (2.0) port, not via an external hub. You could be surprised with the difference in behavior...

Cheers
Paulo
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

one more thing- run DPC Latency Checker to see if you do have other issues (like your nic).