Sonic Cell vs. XV5080 Effects

Forum for SonicCell
RobJuno

Sonic Cell vs. XV5080 Effects

Post by RobJuno »

Can anybody who actually KNOWS tell me whether there is significant difference between the quality/sound of the effects engines in the XV5080 and the Sonic Cell? (OR of how the synth engine affects the ultimate sound for that matter).

What my question really amounts to is this...

*** Will SRX 07 & 09 sound different between Sonic Cell and an XV5080? ***

Here's my scenario...

I have a Juno G and 3 SRX boards, so I need more SRX slots. I also recently bought 3 JV80 boards with as yet no synth to host them in! I do not envisage buying more SRX, and might re-sell one JV80 board.

My two gear ideas are:

A) Juno G + XP30 + Sonic Cell

B) Juno G + XV5080

I have contemplated buying a Sonic Cell for a while, but with the current price hike I have decided to wait. I recently got to like the idea of a 2nd hand XP30 for the value of what it offers, and ended up bidding on ebay for JV80 boards before even owning a synth to host them. However, the XV5080 now seems to be the economic solution. Firstly it could host all my cards. Its display beats the other two synths for editing on-machine, but a downside of no USB for convenient storage (vs SC). The XP30 has the value of the Session/Techno/Orchestral boards built in. However, I may well already have a lot of the waveforms in my Juno+SRX07 (if not the patches that may well be programmed to give many new sounds).

There are various other measures to consider I know, like outputs. I really can't decide which route to take.

If the SRX boards will sound exactly the same out of the XV5080 as he Sonic Cell, I think I'd have to opt for the XV.
RobJuno

Re: Sonic Cell vs. XV5080 Effects

Post by RobJuno »

Right, having done some digging, in the XV5080 Manual, here is an example of what I mean...

There is no mention of the ability to chain and re-arrange MFX as is possible on the Sonic Cell. Does anyone know if this IS possible?

I know that multiple MFX are only available in Performance mode anyway, and therefore not relevant to any patches on any expansion board. But it is one technicality, and one function I have used in my own performances.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

While still maybe the cost-effective idea, I've realised that the XV5080, despite boasting 128voice polyphony and the 3MFX, if packed with expansion baords and being put to use multi-timbrally (who could use all 32 parts?!), would start to look very thin on the ground, effects : parts , compared with maybe a Sonic Cell + JV2080.

Oh I'm in a tiz. Sorry for takling aloud here! LOL
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

LOL
You have an uncanny talent in being able to talk to yourself.
I felt sorry for you so I had to respond.
Don't you already have the SC? What are you trying to do (you want to buy more hardwware don't you!!!!?)