Questions about the SC

Forum for SonicCell
mister

Questions about the SC

Post by mister »

Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to listen to audio from the computer, while at the same time using the tone generator, as well as the stereo line and/or inputs?

If so that would be a very cool unit I think.

Thank you
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Questions about the SC

Post by Artemiy »

You can listen to the internal sound generator with an external input active, but I think that external input can be either USB audio or line input, not both simultaneously.
mister

Post by mister »

Thanks for replying.

I'm pretty keen on getting this unit, even withstanding the raft of issues over the VST Editor, even notwitstanding being potentially discontinued (samedaymusic) as I like the overall design of this model.

I have a Novation X-station and was disappointed to find that you cannot have a stereo source at the same time as the synth, so at least I guess I could plug it (novation) into the SC and work that way, by which I mean use the Novation driver for USB audio with the synth via midi, usb or otherwise and trigger the SonicCell via midi.

Probably not the best way sound wise, with all those gain stages, so I guess a mixer might be in order.

Pity the SC doesn't have a digital output but I suppose having usb means at least you can record it and if the sounds are decent enough then it's a workaround I can endure as composition is my major focus and not so much performance but further questions I will put in another thread.

Thank you and regards.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Warning on the X-station and SC together. I have the 61-key version and an SC and generally sacrifice one of them and only plug them via midi. I had communication issues when both were plugged in via USB (now, this was on a PC- I have yet to try them together on my Mac so maybe it is different).
Just a heads up on that.
mister

Post by mister »

It would not surprise me javaj

I'm thinking precisely the same thing, and I don't even own on (SC) yet.

I looked at the manual last night, it would seem you can have USB audio, the synth playing and something plugged in to listen and/or record.

I hope I'm right, but if I'm wrong someone please set the record straight since I think this is a very advanced system, even if it

a) doesn't suppport MTC

&

b) does not allow multiple audio files to be played at once with SMF