AU SC Editor Issue????

Forum for SonicCell
GSPro

AU SC Editor Issue????

Post by GSPro »

Hello forum,
Anyone with a Mac OS 10.5.8, running the AU plugin editor with no issues. I can't get mine to connect with either sequencer (Digital Performer 7.1 or Metro 6.48). Why? Because when I click the SETUP menu located on the SC AU Plugin and chose "setup midi devices", no window pops-up to let me select the I/O. It only works on the standalone version of the SC Editor, which it does me no good. Roland tech said, it's an issue with the sequencer program. The VST version works with Metro, since it supports both ( AU and VST). The thing is that I use Digital Performer the most. The reason I'm posting here is to see if, anyone can confirm this.
When I run into tech issues and discuss them with Roland tech support, they seem to get defensive all of the time and then they brush me off.

Art... Can you please help?
mystery

Re: AU SC Editor Issue????

Post by mystery »

Maybe you could run the standalone editor and connect to it via MIDI, ie DIN plug and use USB to trigger sounds.

I don't know if that could work but maybe someone with experience can comment.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi mystery.
First, thank you very much for the reply.
I already tried the standalone version. It works with the SonicCell like it's suppose to but, it doesn't transmit/record sysex to the DAW, that's why I mentioned in my first post "it doesn't do me any good".
I also sent an email to the makers of Digital Performer but haven't heard anything yet. I personally think, it's the plugin, why? Because the AU version, doesn't work with the other DAW. Will see and hopefully they wont start to pass the buck.

Thanks again for you input
Greatly appreciated
Gspro
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

wait a sec- if you are running the AU version- then you shouldn't need to setup midi in the SC editor- it is setup in your DAW. Of course, I am new to Mac and am assuming this is the case Something does sound odd- and Roland is probably waiting for a congress to summon them to a hearing in the US to apologize- oops, sorry, wrong company.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi javaj and thanks a million for you time and for the double reply. :):):)

>

Roland tech said, I need to setup the I/O in the plugin in order to work. With roland tech on the phone, I launched the standalone version of the SC editor and for it to work I had to do the same thing> go to Setup in the menubar and select the I/O for the SC hardware to work.
You said, I shouldn't and I know I shouldn't have to do that through the plugin, but through the DAW.
Thanks for the confirmation. The two roland tech I spoke to within the hour, may need more training then.
So, yes!! The congress needs to summon them to a hearing in the US to apologize. :):):)

Roland tech also said that, the AU or VST plugin works even, if the SonicCell is only connected via MIDI I/O, NO USB required, which is the way I have it setup. Again, it works with the standalone SC editor.
Can you please confirm?
Or they need more training and a double apology?:):):):):):)

What is your DAW on you mac?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Apologies if I am interrupting here, but as the OP said, they are using old-fashioned MIDI with the standalone editor.

So with that in mind, is it still possible to connect the usb and trigger the sound, adjust ADSR/LFO etc?

I really would like to know this since if you can then theoretically there is no "need" other than convenience for the VST/AU/DXI editor.

Could someone please confirm?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Apologies if I am interrupting here, but as the OP said, they are using old-fashioned MIDI with the standalone editor.

So with that in mind, is it still possible to connect the usb and trigger the sound, adjust ADSR/LFO etc?

I really would like to know this since if you can then theoretically there is no "need" other than convenience for the VST/AU/DXI/RTAS editor.

Could someone please confirm?
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

My DAW is Logic Studio (latest version).
Are you able to access your SC through your DAW WIHTOUT loading the editor app- so basic midi out from the DAW to your SC. If not, then you have an issue. Make sure you can do that first. Then add the AU editor into your track- it should (knock on wood) start retrieving the current state and then allow you to use it normally. Don't run standalone AND your DAW- that will likely lock up the midi out to the standalone editor and not allow the port to be used by your DAW.
I may have to connect mine this weekend to make sure I don't have any wierd issues but last I checked- everything worked fine.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi javaj,
Thanks for not double posting again:):):):):):):):):):):):):). Just kidding
Yes, I've downloaded the Sonic Cell .midnam and.middev scripts patch files, from Roland site. I can select the SC module from the DAW and it works flawless. Zero Issues.

It's when I launch the AU plugin that it wont read or write to/from the sonic cell.
I even started a blank project and then added the instrument track>AUsoniccell (Stereo) and nothing.

Here are my connections
MOTU MicroLite midi interface 5ins/5outs.
Midi Out from SC to Midi In into Micro Lite, Out from Micro Lite to In into Sonic Cell.
As I said, the standalone SCEditor works, but I don't think, it can send to the DAW. I see the SCEditor standalone sending changes/sysex to the sonic cell, but I'm wondering if it's possible to get those sysex to come back out and to the DAW using the editor. Any ideas?

I really appreciate your help with this.
Thanks a million
GSPro
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi mistery and no you are not interrupting.
I honestly don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully somebody else will read this and comment on it.
Sorry!
GSPro
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi & thanks

There are other posts here, and at rolandforums.co.uk about the editor not working in cubase 5, but the excuse was that it is steinbergs' fault, well this is proof that it is not.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

In the end- if you are getting full midi in and out of the SC normally through your DAW, but the editor is not working (yet works in standalone)- it does appear to be an issue on the AU editor (and very well could be related to the Cubase issue). Just for grins, have you tried installing Reaper (www.reaper.fm) for Mac- and checking if the SC editor plug-in works in there?
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hi javaj and thanks again for helping.

I know it's the plugin because, it doesn't work with Metro either, only the VST.
No I haven't tried reaper, but I'll give it shot and re-post later.
Have you tested it with logic on your end?

As I said before, I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work with the standalone, if at all possible.

Thanks again
GSpro
mystery

Post by mystery »

The AU plugin code is derived from the VST, which uses standard programming classes.

It would seem that Roland cannot at this time program a plug in editor for any current software.