AU SC Editor Issue????

Forum for SonicCell
GSPro

Re: AU SC Editor Issue????

Post by GSPro »

Hope you're still online and catching this.
I managed to make it work via midi in and out from Sonic cell to Out and in to midi interface.
If you want to record using the standalone editor, the good news is YES, YOU CAN.

You need to turn on Soft Through in the System MIDI on the Sonic Cell.

One issue I'm having is that, when I play the keys and soft Through is ON, a piano patch sounds like a trill.
Other then that the standalone Editor does work in realtime

What am I missing? can you help?
Hang in there. If we put both of our minds together, I think we can get it to work
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good work.

Glad to see it can do the "round trip" so to speak and you have the Standalone SonicCell Editor operational via midi using the facilities of the Operating System and other hardware.

What I don't understand is soft-thru but will look that up when I can.

What would be good to know is, when you have established that the SonicCell hardware is sending and receiving sysex via USB/DIN (or whatever MIDI interface your system supports such as serial, etc) using the standalone editor, can you then fire up a sequencer and select the USB MIDI port and send a single note for example to any part of the SC system?

If you can do the above 2 steps then maybe it can work.

Write back, I'm all ears....

P.S. When we say "realtime" I gather we are meaning as we tweak rather than machine initiated, or alternatively dumping of data via packet transmission.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

What I meant about REALTIME is that while you are recording a MIDI track to the DAW (sequencer), you can make changes on the fly on the SC Standalone editor and those sysex will be recorded in realtime onto the DAW sequencer, but Soft Through need to be ON.

I'll quote you again in brackets
[What would be good to know is, when you have established that the SonicCell hardware is receiving sysex via USB/DIN (or whatever MIDI interface your system supports such as serial, etc) with the standalone editor, can you still fire up a sequencer and select the USB MIDI port?]

YES

and the round trip you mentioned, you said it right. SOft Through ON seems to create an endless loop
mystery

Post by mystery »

Quick question:

If it were me doing this test, I'd not bother with sysex, only as a dump from a .sce file would I be considering (at least to begin with) but you seem like you have something which requires it, which I can definately understand.

What I don't get though is why "soft-thru" needs to be enabled.

Can you at leat use this/these method(s) to adjust mixer levels, basic sound parameters and effect settings without needing to alter things on the fly?

Hope I've helped here.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

>
I need to read up on this to give you an straight answer.

>
Yes
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

>

I need it to work like that because, let's say I need to change the attack on a guitar on a section throughout the piece and then bring it back to were it was, I need to be able to record that information on the fly.
Or like a filter cut-off that opens and closes in a 3-4 measures or something, i need to dump that info in there.

Hope that answers your question
mystery

Post by mystery »

>

Can you also use the USB MIDI port via a sequencer to trigger notes while doing the above?

If that works in a stable manner then if you want to program sysex you (and everyone else I expect) will have to record it somehow, eg sysex recorder and then replay it back later into the sequencer and re-record it once again kind of like a replay attack on a network.

Bit old-school but possible I suspect and the problem with "trills" well, that would be due to the fact of a generic data-sync issue, which is a real shame I think otherwise how can it be done? Maybe Roland have bitten off too much here but that's only my view and I do think they (the company) could fix it if they cared enough.

About soft thru, there is a reference in the manual, what it does is it merges incoming data to go back out the assigned port, not something I believe is entirely necessary since why not just use the USB port via the sequencer, [for example a tactile controller] unless of course it's for live performance.

It's really an awful pity this VST/AU/RTAS/DXI thing is not happening for everyone at present on equal terms, as life would be so much simpler if it did, as well as "finishing" what is likely the end of an era (roland like many companies IMV leave too many things undone) but I guess there are two sides to this issue, and both need to work but ultimately I think a workaround can be fashioned in some way albeit an extremely complex method and in addition may not have live application, unless of course you are an utter genius; which is partly what this unit is designed for.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Nothing comes to mind still at the moment. Been in the studio for 18 hrs and I'm not too happy right now.
Sorry!!

No sysex recorder. While you DAW is recording, turn a nub or move a slider on the SCEditor and the sysex has been recorded and as long as you play that performance thru the SonicCell Module, it will always be there.

I need to read on the soft thru. My brain is fried tonight