SonicCell as a sound module

Forum for SonicCell
guylemec

SonicCell as a sound module

Post by guylemec »

I'd like to connect my controller keyboard to my computer using the SC as a sound module so that I can record from the keyboard using my choice of the many excellent SC patches.
I've followed the diagram in the SC user manual, connecting from midi out on the controller to midi in on the SC, and connecting the controller to the pc via usb, but I get no sound from the DAW (Sonar PE 8.5.3).
I think I must be missing something fundamental here...
Can anyone take the time to describe for me all the required SC and DAW settings and routing to achieve my aim?
Thanks to all.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: SonicCell as a sound module

Post by Artemiy »

Are you sure your controller sends MIDI via both MIDI OUT and USB? It will either send to only one of them, or you need to look into how to set it up so it sends to both.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Sounds like the Midi is not echoing out from your controller. You could try to go Controller to computer via USB- then Computer to SC via USB (no midi cables used). And then have your DAW send out to the SC.
guylemec

Post by guylemec »

I think you're right, Artemiy, I can't seem to do both.
What you describe, javaj, seems like using the SC as a plugin synth.
My aim is to record music (audio) using the sounds from the SC and it seems amazing that I can't do this.
Using javaj's approach, I could record a midi track in the DAW but I still can't get audio output without feeding the DAW midid output back into a DAW audio input track (which seems to me like buying a dog and barking yourself).
Is what I want so crazy?
Thanks to All
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Your setup is right, using the keyboard controller directly connected to the SC via MIDI cable.

What you need to do is make sure your SC's USB Audio Out is setup correctly. (pg 148) Type = MIX
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Yes, you can make your SC appear to be a VSTi (just a single instance and you have to record your SC in realtime)- dbijoux is correct.
JimbaFrosty

Post by JimbaFrosty »

^^^cant u record the midi in w/e sequencer of choice and use the 16 midi channels up?
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi guylemec,
Personally I connect as per the diagram in the "Using SonicCell with a DAW.pdf" workshop booklet.

Namely:
Controller Midi out to SC Midi in
SC to Computer via USB

Also I set system USB-MIDI thru to ON for recording midi from controller and controlling DAW
This works fine for me.

(You could also connect Controller Midi in to SC Midi out for writing control maps to keyboard if required)

Regards,
BlueNote