Controlling Roland SonicCell from a simple keyboard

Forum for SonicCell
pk692

Controlling Roland SonicCell from a simple keyboard

Post by pk692 »

Possibly a dumb question. I am considering buying a Roland SonicCell for a performance situation. I can "program" it ahead of time so that all I need to do in real time is switch between "performances". I currently have a Roland EP7ii that I would like to use as a simple controller. I am not a midi whiz, so I have what might be a simple question. I can easily transmit "program change" command from the keyboard to the sonic cell, providing the program change number is 35 or less. My question is, can I program the sonic cell so that, for instance, program change = 2 turns it into a xylophone sound, program change = 3 turns it into a split keyboard with harp and celesta, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Edit/Delete Message
javaj_

Re: Controlling Roland SonicCell from a simple keyboard

Post by javaj_ »

You would just need to save your favorite sounds in the user area- then you should be able to do program changes easily. I can't remember if the SC editor can function without the SC running (you may want to download and iinstall it and see if you can send a program change and see the result). I know it won't show any patches unless the SC is turned on.
pk692

Post by pk692 »

Thanks for the suggestion. Between paying with the editor and reading the manual carefully, I have convinced myself that I can write a "performance" to any USER number from 1 to 32 and access it with a program change command. this was probably obvious to everyone else, but now I understand it. Thanks again for the help.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey Java!

Can I get you to email me at piaknow@shaw.ca when you get this posting?

Thanks!
PiaKnowGuy
Film Score Demo
PiaKnow
pk692

Post by pk692 »

I got a sonic cell, and found out that I had not figured this out, although with a little experimentation I learned what I needed to know. I needed to go into the system menu and change the performance Control Channel to the one my controller was transmitting. That allows me to select form the options in the selected bank using the buttons on the controller. Maybe that will help someone else who is new to MIDI/