Question about Computers /Sonic Cell & other stuff

Forum for SonicCell
canefire

Question about Computers /Sonic Cell & other stuff

Post by canefire »

Hi All,
Okay so after connecting my laptop to the sonic cell I now want to incorporate the computer full time for patch editing and for use when in performance mode.
Being new to the computer side of things I want to know if I can operate two devices at one time. For example my Korg radias is easier to use when connected to a computer as well...can I have a radias and a SC connected to my computer and have a screen big enough where I am looking at both units programs on screen and be able to tweak them in real time? Or can only one midi device be in use at a time?
Only having two hands there is but so much I can do at a time anyway.
Thanks,
Ian
PauloF

Re: Question about Computers /Sonic Cell & other stuff

Post by PauloF »

Hi canefire,
You can connect both your SC and the Korg to the computer at the same time using one of two methods:

**1- The easiest (USB/MIDI)**
- SC connected via a USB cable directly to a Computer USB Port (or using an external USB Hub in the middle).
- KORG connected via a USB cable directly to a Computer USB Port (or using an External USB HUB in the middle).
- You can use both the Korg and the SC Editor software as stand alone or as a VSTi inside a DAW.

**2- The not so easy (MIDI cable / USB Interface)**
- SC connected via a MIDI cable to a MIDI/USB (or firewire) interface to a Computer USB (or using an external USB Hub in the middle).
- KORG connected via a MIDI cable to a MIDI/USB (or firewire) interface to a Computer USB (or using an external USB Hub in the middle).
- Like in the above example, you can use both the Korg and the SC Editor software as stand alone or as a VSTi inside your Daw.

- If you have a big screen is fine, but a dual monitor approach will be surplus.

Cheers,
Paulo
canefire

Post by canefire »

Thanks for the info...Now I will be looking into getting the dual screen PCI interface for the two monitors. I will buy soon. Peace Ian
canefire

Post by canefire »

Hopefully this will be my final question about this computer stuff. I am looking at various computers online that I purchase.
What is more important the processor speed (2ghz, duo cores, etc), Ram (2 gigs, 1 gig) ? I am thinking that since I am not doing any mixing or recording on the computer I should be able to get by using an older computer.
Remember I am hoping to connect a korg radias and a Sonic Cell...have two displays and have them up and running at the same time.
I think I want to keep it simple and just stick with XP SP3. In order to use the Sonic Cell editor do I need serious processor power. Or will an old comp work fine?
Thanks,
Ian