Controling rotary effect from Roland FP2

Forum for SonicCell
adm4you

Controling rotary effect from Roland FP2

Post by adm4you »

I just got a SonicCell and I want to use my FP2 piano to control it in live situations. But I can't figure out how I can control the rotary effect. I have tried about any combination (except the right one!)

The best way for me would be to assign the existing effect button on the FP2 to that since I have a foot switch for that. But I have a hard time figuring out how the Matrix Control system works to assign the right midi signal for that.

Can anyone help?

Piano-Paul

Re: Controling rotary effect from Roland FP2

Post by Piano-Paul »

Any suggestions would be great. Same situation here...
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I'm not sure exactly what you want to control but let's try this.

I assume that you know what Midi message the FP2 is putting out when you press Soft or Sostenuto pedal. If not use MidiOx to see what it is doing.
Check page 49 of the manual to put it into the correct mode.

There are a number of different ways set the SC up but perhaps the easiest is simply setting it up in the MFX section.

I assume you have the Rotary selected in the MFX and that it works except that you can't switch it while playing.
Select the Control Source up the top right to what ever Midi controller your pedal is putting out. ( 66 is sostenuto usually)
So select CC66 and choose between Level and Speed in the Destination.

If you choose Level, pressing the pedal will set it to max so the Level setting in the MFX has to be lower than max or you won't hear a change.
This is true for the Speed as well.

Hope this helps
Royce
adm4you

Post by adm4you »

Hi rcraven,

Sorry i forgot to reply on this but you actually led me on the right track. It worked right away when i set the "SENS" to more than 0.

So Thanks :)

And i got it to work best using the Soft pedal as long as i don't use the sound from the FP-2 itself, because it will be affected by the soft pedal. Any way to avoid this?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi
have a look at page 38 of the manual.
Try a few different settings and see what Midi messages (if any) it puts out in the different modes and choose the best one for you.

You could select something like FX on/off instead ??

There doesn't seem to be a setting just for Midi out.

All the best
Royce