Mobile Sound Canvas versus Sonic Cell?

Forum for SonicCell
joeanon

Re: Mobile Sound Canvas versus Sonic Cell?

Post by joeanon »

Does anyone know if the mobile sound canvas can do pitch tuning to get a just intonation scale?

Thanks

Joe
roelfbackus

just intonation ?

Post by roelfbackus »

No, all the Sound Canvas units can only vary the total/fixed scale around the A=440.

Roelf Backus (NL)
joeanon

Post by joeanon »

Thank you Roelf,
When I saw that the Mobile Sound Canvas handled sysex messages and had GS sounds I had great hope for it, but reading the owners manual left me with the sinking feeling that the scale tune messages might not be included. I guess it isn't the right module for me.

Joe
roelfbackus

Post by roelfbackus »

I've read the SonicCell manual and with that unit is a possibility for just temperament, but only for one scale. (p.72)
Principal triads sound pure in this tuning but this effect is achieved in only one key: Tonic of C. The pure triads will become ambiguous when transposing.
One the other hand, maybe just-temperamented-musicians (who know about it), don't play Roland Sound Canvas units :-)

Roelf
roelfbackus

Post by roelfbackus »

what's this SPAM!
wolfg

Post by wolfg »

Hi! Maybe this is not the right forum, but I'm desperately seeking for help about saving studio sets in SD-50. (Perhaps I misinterpret the term PART when I tried to choose TONES from 1-16 different from preset PIANO, to have diiferent tones -1 st.piano 2 rotary organ, etc. etc )Maybe I cannot read (:-) but when I follow step-by-step instructions of the maunal (p.49 Selecting a tone for each part and then p.54 Saving a Studio Set) but nothing happens.
Please, help!
THX
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

A lot of the FanG waves are in some of the SRX boards, but the overall the FanG looks like a bridge from the XV architecture (as the other Fantoms are) to the Jupiter 80 technology.

The Integra is a module closer to to the Jupiter models and has a second section that is like a XV5050 and has all the SRX cards built in, but it is expensive with few secondhand units out there. I'm not sure if it plays back Midi or audio files or needs an external player/DAW.

The Sonic Cell has a lot of the same output electronics of the FanG, some of the newer waves and a place for 2 SRX cards.
It is also fully programmable and will play either a Midi or Audio file and has enough polyphony (normally) to still let you play from a keyboard or Midi controller.

The MSC has more flexible performance elements - lets you change the playback key in both Midi or Audio playback if your voice is a little worn, etc
BUT you can not fully edit the patches. So, if you have to get close to your programming on the FanG, this is not really an option.

I think a secondhand SC would be the best option, but the Integra guys, I'm sure, would not agree.

All the best
Royce