SRX expansion "Module" kits question

Forum for SonicCell
HumanSonic

SRX expansion "Module" kits question

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi all can anyone explain the "module" kits on the SRX-01 expansion card.

I understand the preset kits and how to access them in Sonar. I also understand that one can use, for example a kit on chn10 and another on chn11 and use the kick and snare on one, and hihatts on the other, for example, depending on what sounds you are after. Is this what they mean by "module" kit? On the other hand if you check there list, 1-24 are preset kits. 25-35 are kicks, 36-53 are snares, 54-61 are toms, 62-69 are hihatts, 70-74 are crashes and 75-79 are rides. Am I to understand that one would have to use 6 midi channels for drums alone if i was to create a kit?

Is there a way that one can create a kit from the various kit types and save on the SRX-01? Sorry but Roland just brags about 41 patches and 79 rhythm kits, where exactly are those, other than the first 24??? Can anyone help me understand there concept?
Andy Keys

Re: SRX expansion "Module" kits question

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi HumanSonic.

Yes, the boasted number of kits on the SRX-01 card is exaggerated and not really true.

I always assumed that the module kits, as you call them (Rhythm Sets #25 to 79) were there so that you could put each piece of your kit on a different channel, and thus have more (or at least simpler) editing control.

But, when you look at the "Rhythm Set Key Assign pages (OM pp.31-32) the module kits don't seem to include all the variations of each item e.g. HiHats 2 & 3.

Then there are the Patches, which are all Menu waveforms, so each key gives a different wave. I've never found much use for these other than being able to quickly audition the available sounds, but I suppose you could use one of these Patches to get a bit of variety in, say, your Tom hits.

I guess that when they put together this board they tried to think of all the ways you might want to access & use drum sounds; but honestly, great though the sounds are, there's a lot of repetition among the multiply-claimed Kits, Patches & Rhythm Sets.

In answer to your last question, you could always edit one of the preset SRX-01 kits and save it as a User Rhythm Set.

Cheers
Andy
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Andy,

Yip they sure do exaggerate sometimes.

Thanks very much for the feedback , I appreciate it.

Just a quick question:- Will that save on the SRX-01 or in the Sonic Cell, not that it matters, just interested, being an inquisitive person.

cheers
Willem
Capetown South Africa
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

It would save as one of your User kits in the SonicCell.

Cheers
Andy
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Thanks Andy,

I'm now a little wiser and less in the dark.

Cheers
Willem
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Glad to be of assistance, William :o)

Andy