Playlist Editor 1.10 - rewrite required?!

Forum for SonicCell
BlueNote

Playlist Editor 1.10 - rewrite required?!

Post by BlueNote »

Dear All,
I have noticed the following apparent quirks when transferring files in playlist editor to and from Playlist Library
(NB this ignores any individual playlist issues to reduce potential confusion which is already high enough!)
Please let me have any comments/corrections - thanks!

Preliminary Observations:
1. ticked files listed on on the Computer or USB display exist on disc and are flagged as “active” in the relevant soniccell.scp text file – a version of which is included in the nominated PC (Tool/Setup) playlist directory and also in the Sonicell directory of the USB stick
2. unticked files are listed in the relevant soniccell.scp text file as “inactive” but those unticked files listed on the USB side are not actually present on the USB stick! (However, unticked files listed on the PC side are physically present in the nominated PC directory)

Transfer to USB (Tool/Setup/Clean unused –> No)
1. Ticked files on computer listing get transferred as expected
2. Unticked files on computer listing if originally present on USB get deleted from USB but are left as phantom/ inactive file names which are listed as unticked on USB display (although now physically absent from USB) and produce an “incorrect file/sampling rate!” error when attempted to be played on soniccell (where they are listed with a question mark in the SMF player).
3. Unticked files on computer listing not originally present or listed on USB acquire the phantom unticked presence in USB listing described above.
4. Files listed on the USB stick but not on the PC listing are unaffected (whether real or phantom/inactive ones).

Transfer to Computer (Tool/Setup/Clean unused –> No)
1. files listed on the USB cannot be ticked or unticked but ticked (active) ones get copied over to the nominated PC playlist directory (Tool/Setup)

Transfer to USB (Tool/Setup/Clean unused –> Yes)
1. (as above) ticked files on computer listing get transferred as expected
2. (as above) Unticked files on computer listing if originally present on USB get deleted from USB but are left as phantom/ inactive file names which are listed as unticked on USB display (although now physically absent from USB) and produce an “incorrect file/sampling rate!” error when attempted to be played on soniccell (where they are listed with a question mark in the SMF player).
3. (as above) Unticked files on computer listing not present or listed on USB acquire the phantom unticked presence in USB listing described above.
4. Files listed on the USB stick but not on the PC listing are deleted from USB list and memory stick (whether actual real files or phantom/inactive ones).

(This) User Expectation:
1. Files listed as on PC or USB should be physically present whether ticked or unticked!
2. Unticking files on PC list should not cause them to be physically deleted from USB stick!
3. Unticked files should not get transferred as phantom inactive or otherwise!
4. It should be possible to untick files on the USB side if transfer to PC is not required.

Incorrect Part Levels shown in Song information
1. these do not show the correct levels (ie they are all shown as 100) unless the Part midi levels have been edited and saved on the SonicCell itself when the correct information is then read into the .scp file.

The message copying 3/3 files etc is inaccurate
1. message is inaccurately shown when using the transfer to and from USB buttons as the number of files shown to be transferred does not reflect the number of ticked (active) files but is always reflective of the total number of files listed (active and inactive).
HumanSonic

Re: Playlist Editor 1.10 - rewrite required?!

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

ref: Playlist editor 1.10

Yes I agree with you these issues are rather annoying to say the least.
Here are just some comments , I'm afraid I do not profess to having any solutions- but maybe others have found this and can shed some light on this and your issues.:-
I do all my sequences in Sonar Le and transfer them to my flashdrive for my gigs using Playlisteditor. As I edit songs during the week I save them in another folder ( i.e Gig 20-4-2010) as not to screw up otherwise good backing tracks. When I want to load the versions from the new folder, for the weekends gigs, it lists the songs from before and you can't delete them. Then i make a new playlist, add the new songs and end up with another folder that also has all the songs on. I've resorted to formatting my flash before I use it but still the annoying "previous" list in Playlisteditor, and my frustration is not knowing if it is a previous version of the same sequence or a new version (re-edited) that I have reworked. The only way is to play them off the flashdrive, into the Sonic Cell, to check because i always name the song with it original name and it may be a previous version. Ive ended up at a gig saying "but I'm sure I beefed up the drums on that one this week as it was a bit gutless last weekend, what the hell?"

Regards

HumanSonic
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

ref: Playlist editor 1.10

Yes I agree with you these issues are rather annoying to say the least.
Here are just some comments , I'm afraid I do not profess to having any solutions- but maybe others have found this and can shed some light on this and your issues.:-
I
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Thanks for reply. I've not used the Playlisteditor as often as you obviously have so far, but I'm a bit puzzled by the particular problems you mention....

1. I assume we're both using version 1.10?
2. If I click on "Computer", and also on "Playlist Library" on the left hand side, then highlight the songs in the right hand panel and press I get no problems with these disappearing from the list and from the nominated PC Directory (as per Tool/Setup).

Is this not the case for you or do you mean something different?

Regards
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

Yes I am using ver 1.10.

Sorry maybe I spoke a lot of bull but anyway what I meant was that if I make a new playlist there is a a master list of songs,stored on the flashdrive as Playlist Library from previous playlists but my issue is as follows:-

I keep my backtracks, (complete set list) in dated folders on my PC only, so that I can go back to a previous version of a song if my edit didn't work so well live. Every directory contains songs, for example, MoneyNot, Alright Now, Brickwall etc, all spelled the same in each directory, so I can identify them at a gig, I mean why rename? Now the Playlist Library (on usb) has 116 songs and my (current last gig) (on usb) June 4 Friday playlist, has 114. I added all the songs from my most current directory to the June 4 Friday playlist.

This is my biggest annoyance, let me explain further---There are songs in the playlist Library with the same name as in my "GIG" directory, but not all of them are in both????? I formatted USB before I added the newset playlist. So I guess this total of 116 is saved on the PC and the list file is also copied over? You may know more than me!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards
HumanSonic
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Firstly, wish I could play that many songs!

Why not try the following experiment (so we are both talking about the same directories and playlists!):

1. format USB stick and then take it out until later
2. Create a new directory on the computer – say C:\newlibrary
3. In Tool/setup, set this as the directory path for the computer playlists. (The computer Playlist Library will be empty at this point!)
4. Right click on playlist library and create new playlist “Newlist”
5. Highlight Newlist on computer side
6. Do File/Add Song and select all the songs in your “Gig” directory on the PC and OK this to add them to Newlist. At this stage there should be the same number of songs in
a. The Gig directory on the PC
b. The Playlist Library
c. Newlist
7. (if not, we have a problem Houston!)
8. Plug in USB stick to PC
9. Highlight Newlist on computer side
10. make sure all the songs are “ticked”
11. Do Transfer to USB memory
12. at this point, the USB memory display should be identical to the computer display and all files should be consistent.

If this works so far, then at next gig time……..
13. Don’t format USB this time (should not be required)
14. With USB stick unplugged, in Playlist Editor click on “Computer”, highlight “Playlist Library”, highlight all files and press delete – they should all disappear
15. Highlight “Newlist” on Computer – this should now be empty too.
16. Plug in USB stick (and of course select it in Playlist Editor)
17. Do Tool/Setup and tick “Clean Unused songs”
18. Do Transfer to USB
19. If you click on the Playlist Library and /or Newlist for the USB memory side - the songs should all have disappeared (due to “Clean Unused songs” setting)!
20. You should then be able to add the songs for the next gig – to the computer playlist side (not the USB) by repeating steps 5. and 6. above and then
21. transfer to USB as before with everything still consistent???

Let me know!!
Regards
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

I said my list is 116 not that I can play them ha ha , ok only joking!!! I'm trying to sequence the other few hundred as well but I'm a bit A.D.D when it comes to chores.

You seem to be on to something will check it out ASAP. Things a bit hectic here in Capetown 15:25. World Cup soccer has just kicked off in Johannesburg.

Will go through everything as suggested and will give you a reply later on, today hopefully. Thanks.

Cheers
HumanSonic
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Hope it worked and you have been enjoying the soccer....?

Regards,
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

I'm pretty happy so far, don't have any hassles. I can get what I want on my playlist and that is all I need. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Soccer O.K when i have a chance to watch.

Did you see my other 2 post about recording and using Sonic Cell and another audio card with Sonar at the same time? maybe you can help??

Cheers
HumanSonic
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Glad it worked OK!

Have replied on other thread....

Keep monitoring SC forum if possible - I might have a question for you sometime soon!..

All the best,
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hey Bluenote,

I will do and thanks

Cheers
HumanSonic