Sonic Cell in Sonar LE

Forum for SonicCell
HumanSonic

Sonic Cell in Sonar LE

Post by HumanSonic »

I have read the .pdf docs usiung the Sonic CEll in a DAW and Sonar LE etc. All my hardware setup is ok and works 100% except.............my problem is more a operator doesn't know what he's doing issue!!!!

I am recording midi and audio in Sonar LE bundled with the Roland Sonic Cell. What is the best way to go about it, with regard to recording audio or midi first? I have found that I normally record a rough guitar rhythm part first as a guide then add bass for example. Then a midi drum track playing the Sonic Cell via Sonar from a Edirol-UM-1X. The SONIC CELL now has to produce the audio from the tone generator and the audio recorded in Sonar so how do you stop them "mixing" on to a new audio recording track?
This is troublesome when you have audio and midi playing and you record a new track and end up with the midi tracks audio also being recorded. I know I can either SOLO the midi drum track and record it to an audio track or mute the midi drum track. Sure this works but wheres the realism of creating a song?
So the big question is HOW DO I USE THE SONIC CELL AS A MIDI AND AUDIO USB INTERFACE WITHOUT RECORDING UNWANTED TRACKS BUT BE ABLE TO HEAR ALL OF THEM--Just like a conventional multitrack recorder? Sorry if this is a question I should have figured out the answer for myself but I would greatly appreciate some advise.

Cheers
HumanSonic
BlueNote

Re: Sonic Cell in Sonar LE

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic
I think this may be the solution you are looking for?
1. Press the and buttons to get the In/Out Routing Screen
2. Highlight "TO COM" and Select
3. Change Type from "MIX" to "Input FX"

(Stops Tone Generator output from going to PC)

If it works, that must be two midi drum tracks you owe me up to now....!!
(anyway, let me know result!)
Regards,
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

I have set to "input efx" before but have not tried to record like that, will give it a go and let you know. Gigging tomorrow night (Friday) so will check it out on Saturday and keep you posted. Funny how the manual doesn't deal with this issue other than to tell you to plan your recording carefull?????????. It is easy to do a guide guitar track and midi drums and then record drums to audio track and start all over again but then you could end up losing interest by the 2099948th take ha ha. I didn't have all this bother with Cubase and the Hypersonic soft synth but the Sonic Cell sounds so much better. You know if you use an audio metronome intead of a midi one the audio does not overdub onto the new track you are recording so I guess it is generated in Sonar itself.

What drum tracks do you want and where is a good place to get free midi tracks? I have tonnes of stuff that I haven't bothered to edit yet for live purposes.

Cheers
HumanSonic
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Should perhaps have mentioned, when button pressed on its own, you get some options there as to where the audio input goes to.

Hope it works...
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Drum tracks - thanks for asking - got any Rolling Stones tracks for example??

Free midi tracks - good question - I need to have a search round first! So where did you get your unedited stuff from as a matter of interest?

(I guess this is off topic, so maybe you could reply to dad_dave@"very warm".mail.com if you feel inclined to, with HumanSonic in the title? For "very warm" read "hot" - just trying to avoid the spambots!) If I get any mail I'll reply back and take you off the spamblocker!

Cheers,
BlueNote
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi Bluenote,

Man you are so right about the routing. I tried input to fx before but didn't go to to other screen where you select "To Com" and then select "Input fx" instead of "mix". Is this is what you meant? Anyway it works.

Will send you the one current track I have. Try free-midi.org, electrofresh.com, midielite.com. I found electrofresh pretty good. I have thousands but to email them will be a bit of a hassle as my bandwidth is a bit shoddy. just to confirm your email dad_dave@"very warm".mail.com??? I just ask because i've never seen " on email addresses before. Well I also didn't know how to use my Sonic cell properly either ha ha

regards

HumanSonic
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hi HumanSonic,

Yes that's what I meant - glad it worked out for you too!

I obviously didn't explain dad_dave@"very warm".mail.com (read "hot") too well though - lol!

Try dad_dave@hotmail.com - it's an address I don't worry about too much spamwise - it gets a lot, so maybe you could let me know on here if you send anything. Thanks very much for that btw!

Cheers for now,
Bluenote