Latency on SonicCell as a sound module

Forum for SonicCell
champy

Latency on SonicCell as a sound module

Post by champy »

Hi everyone. I just bought a SonicCell and tried to connect it with my midi keyboard ( M audio, Axiom 61). Normally, this midi controler will run via USB cable without AC adaptor. But since I don't use a computer and I use Midi Cable to connect the keyboard and SC, I use the 12V AC adaptor to run the keyboard.

My problem is the latency. I have no idea where it comes from. There is so much latency that it is impossible to play live (which is why, I bought the unit). I tried in the store SC in the showroom before with Akai keyboard, there was no problem at all. So I still believe that this can be solve. But how?

Anyone who has any idea, please let me know. Thank very much
PauloF

Re: Latency on SonicCell as a sound module

Post by PauloF »

I don't think is a SC problem...

I have a SC being controlled by 3 different keyboards, so I'm using lots of MIDI merge, which normally tends to worsen the latency, but in my case I don't that problem at all.
I'm using a Cakewalk A-800 Pro, a PCR-500 and RD-170 (88 note) as Midi controllers.

Do you have the oportunity to try another Controller?
Take the SC to a friend or music shop and try it there with a different controller.
champy

Post by champy »

Thanks a lot. You are right... It is not the SC problem.. I figure the solution out myself...

The problem was that... I plug an adaptor to the phone output and connet it with RCA cable... I don't know if it is because of RCA cable or the adaptor... But when I use a normal cable with the small phone jack. The problem is gone...

Anyway, thanks again for you reply
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

I'm confused...
You are talking about AUDIO cables!
I thought that you were talking about MIDI latency, that is:
The ammount of time between you pressing the keyboard and earing the sound...

Anyway, although I would like to understand what the original problem was, but the important is that you managed to solve the problem.
champy

Post by champy »

Well... I didn't know if it was midi or audio. It was just that the sound the was comming out was delayed. Meaning...I pressed the keyboard and the sound didnt come out instantly... That was the problem...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Ok, let's rewind a little bit...

Confirm if you have the following setup:

[MIDI OUT] (MIDI Cable) [MIDI IN] [PHONES OUT] [Adapter Jack 3.5/ RCA]
(M Audio Axiom 61)---------> SONIC CELL ____________> >___________> ?????

Then you mentioned about :
**The problem was that... I plug an adaptor to the phone output and connet it with RCA cable... I don't know if it is because of RCA cable or the adaptor... But when I use a normal cable with the small phone jack. The problem is gone...**

So you mean that you were using the Headphones output, using a jack 3.5"/RCA adapter, and the RCA termination connected to the amplifier system I presume ???

One question, you were using it in STEREO (jack 3.5" Stereo to Dual RCA adapter) or in MONO ?

That can make a big difference in the sound itself, as it depends on the Patch / performance you are using, but in certain patches you could be hearing only the left part, and that could be a delayed part due to the MFX processing applied... I don+t know...just a thought

Anyway, you solved the problem and that is the important thing here ;-)