Midi file from Band-in-a-box doesn't play a drum sound in SC

Forum for SonicCell
champy

Midi file from Band-in-a-box doesn't play a drum sound in SC

Post by champy »

Hello all,

I just got my new roland. I tried to play my midi file that I creat from Band-a-box using USB stick.... Every works out great... Just that it doesn't play the drum sound...

I think it should be able to play... It is just that I am new to musical gear and doesn't know much about how midi works. I will repeat my quesition again... How should I get a drum sound I made from Band-in-a box from my Soniccell? Anybody to guide a newbie like me??
GSPro

Re: Midi file from Band-in-a-box doesn't play a drum sound i

Post by GSPro »

Hi Champy.
I don't have Band In a Box. You need to make sure that the drum track is assigned to channel 10.
You also said "How should I get a drum sound I made from Band-in-a box from my Soniccell?"

If you recorded the track using the SonicCell as the main sound module and used BIAB as your software sequencer, you also need to make sure that the drum track was not muted when you saved the file as midi.

Hope that helps
champy

Post by champy »

Thank you... Now I get some sound out of it. My next problem is... it seems that the drum patch in SC has a different assign than in BIAB. So instead if playing a Hi-hat sound, it plays a snare sound... (which is very disturbing... haha) How do I fix that?
Jazzmammal

Post by Jazzmammal »

Biab creates everything using the GM standard. Make sure that you are using the correct GM drum kit in your SC. I think there are 11 GM drum kits and you can go into Biab to see which one it used. If you are using one of the SC's Roland soundbanks, not the GM soundbank try changing the kit. I don't know if the drum kits that are not part of the GM soundbank are mapped using the GM standard or not. The GM standard can be restrictive and many synth companies developed their own way of mapping drum kits so a non GM kit won't play correctly when using a GM midi file.
If you're happy with the drum kit but just not the high hat you can go into whatever DAW you're using for sequencing like Cubase, Real Band, Sonar whatever and edit the drum part manually to change the snare to high hat and resave the midi file. If you have no experience at this it's simple to do. The drums are laid out across a piano keyboard, most sequencers use a piano roll window for midi editing. If the snare is on say A3 and your high hat is on Dd4 there should be a way to highlight all the A3's with one mouse click and change it to Db4 and that's it.

Bob