SonicCell vs. XV-2020 to replace JV-1010?

Forum for SonicCell
anotherscott

SonicCell vs. XV-2020 to replace JV-1010?

Post by anotherscott »

I like my JV-1010, but would like a couple of the SRX boards (probably 06 and 07), so I'm thinking about upgrading to either an XV-2020 or SonicCell, really, just so I can use those boards. The 2020 is sufficient for that purpose, and used ones are maybe half the price of a SC, so that's what I figure on getting, but I wonder if I'm shortchanging myself by not going to the newer unit. So I'm here asking for input. Would the SC really give me a lot more?

My use is primarily live performance (no computer), one or maybe two sounds (MIDI channels) at a time. Secondarily I might do some recording with it, but no sequencing. I don't care about the SC's abilities to play backing tracks or function as a computer interface,

From what I know so far:

I like that the 2020 is smaller, and that it has what appears to be a simpler front panel interface for live performance (with no computer), having dedicated knobs for part, bank, and patch rather than having to navigate the screen with a single knob. OTOH, I like that the SonicCell displays full patch names instead of being limited to a 3 digit display. And I understand that the SonicCell also has a lot of new high quality sounds in it as well.

Anything else I should know?

One other question: I like a good number of my JV-1010 sounds. Are all of those 1010 sounds also in the XV-2020? And are all of the 1010 sounds also in the SonicCell? Or will I be losing some sounds while gaining others?

Thanks for any thoughts...
HumanSonic

Re: SonicCell vs. XV-2020 to replace JV-1010?

Post by HumanSonic »

I can't be the greatest help but can only comment on the Sonic Cell as the only others I've used are the Sc-88 Pro and Sc-88, and I use them for backtracks. I am very happy with the Sonic Cell. I have expanded it with a SRX-01 and I won't be changing any time soon. It really helps having a display.

Regards

HumanSonic