Bad Pool - Bluescreen

Forum for SonicCell
mistletoe

Bad Pool - Bluescreen

Post by mistletoe »

Something strange happened and I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

I had opened the Standalone SonicCell editor and was able to modify parameters via the mouse using MIDI i/o.

All seems to work fine, there is often an error message cannot read/write however for the most part it can be dismissed without further issue.

If I open Cubase and then instantiate the VST editor via the rack, magically it appears after once clicking and bringing up a blank GUI, it comes forward the second time but none of the menus work.

When I go to close down cubase it, even after un-instantiating the editor, the program can only be terminated via task manager which causes a blue screen.

FWIW I don't think the editor on the whole is very well designed since it seems Cubase won't allow it to perform how it was intended (the soniccell editor) to operate, ie in user mode at least insofar as Windows is concerned.

Probably very complicated but I do hope Roland intend to do something about it, as how will any future product work if this cannot be demonstrated to function going forward.
rpeatfield

Re: Bad Pool - Bluescreen

Post by rpeatfield »

If you look through this forum you will see several issues with the VST editor and Cubase. Roland know about the problems, whether they do anything about them is another question...
mistletoe

Post by mistletoe »

According to the roland.co.uk forums, it was supposedly Steinberg who "changed the goalposts" which makes one wonder what that kind of a statement means, ie., should a company such as Roland for example always expect that the standard (vst) will never change, or should it always be the same even if better ways are found to achieve something such as here, a rather unique piece of gear not being able to fulfill it's maximum potential under what is arguably a competitors' system but which also sets those standards under which it (roland and others) operate.
rpeatfield

Post by rpeatfield »

Yes I agree with your statement. A similar (but bigger) parallel is when Microsoft updates from win98 to winXP to Vista to windows7, etc., Roland has to update, although it's Microsoft's fault for changing things ;-)

Of course Microsoft is HUGE and everyone has to follow, but the principal is the same, and Roland really needs to get a dose of reality that VST (Cubase) is the worlds leading DAW integration and they are actually shooting themselves in the foot by trying so hard to ignore it (but instead pushing Sonar) Roland would do better by their customers by accepting that simple fact and supporting what their customers have, not "blaming" the standards for changing - because standards do evolve.
Strangely enough, every other one of my other VSTs (e.g. NI, IK, etc.) work perfectly even though they are also "competitors" ;-)
mistletoe

Post by mistletoe »

Sonar is now Rolands program, and like it or not that's where their hardware is going but the problem for them (cakewalk and co.) is that no matter how hard they try to say to people, eg Cakewalk Forum that VST3 is unnecessary etc., there will always be those people who see that kind of self-serving nonsense for what it is, ie., marketing considerations.

I don't use Sonar but as you say rpeatfield Roland must adhere to the specs if they want to implement them and not be disingenuous with their customers save it come back to bite them.

It was years ago that TwelveTone Systems used DirectX and Steinberg dropped it, about time the company who inherited the legacy did the same, as it doesn't work on mac anyway (hint, even more problems on apple platform).

While it may go some way towards a workaround using two programs simultaneously in order to achieve what I personally need to accomplish, it's still not acceptable, not so much the lack of support or non-working applications but simply the way Roland employees go about "helping" people such as how they say "it works on Sonar" for example simply because that program was bundled.