Problem converting Midi to Audio

Forum for SonicCell
champy

Problem converting Midi to Audio

Post by champy »

Dear all...
I have been using soniccell for about 2 weeks now. I hooked it up with Nuendo3 (same with Cubase, I guess). When I press play back a midi file from Nuendo, the sounds come out perfectly.

However, I cannot export audio files. Every time I do it, it does generate a new audio file. But when I click to play this new audio file in WMP or winamp, it doesn't have any sound. In contrast, when I save my project as a midi file, everything works perfectly.

Anybody has a solution on this?
avogra

Re: Problem converting Midi to Audio

Post by avogra »

You have to keep in mind, that the SonicCell is a hardware synthesizer. So in order to save an audio file, nuendo has to play the midi file to the SC, which in turn delivers back the audio signal. you have to record this audio signal in nuendo before you can export it. in sonar, there is a prepared function to render your sound, although it's quite some time i used this. so can't remember any details. i'm sure, nuendo offers a similar feature. if you want to do it by hand, you can create a new audio track, setup the audio-over-usb from the SC as input and record the midi track into the audio track.

greets, alex
Jazzmammal

Re: Problem converting Midi to Audio

Post by Jazzmammal »

Yeah, this is another thing that can confuse people. If you're using a software synth like Sampletank or Kontatk your sequencer can do a fast render. The audio never has to leave your PC, it's all done inside the software. A 4 minute song can get rendered in 15-20 seconds or so but as Avogra said, hardware is different, you have to physically route the audio output back into your PC and record the song in real time just like a guitar or mic.

Bob