Midi file playback - lack of effects and snare drum sound

Forum for SonicCell
A100

Midi file playback - lack of effects and snare drum sound

Post by A100 »

Hi,

Recently purchased sonic cell to replace my floppy disk MF player and GM module . Saved my midifles to USB using playlist editor. No problem there. However when I play them using SMF player there is no reverb and the snare drum sounds terrible (commpressed ringing sound). I connected midi out on SC to my old sound moduile and it plays the effects and the snare sounds fine. Do I need to run the SC sound editor for every song and add in effects? Any suggestions/ tips welcomed.
HumanSonic

Re: Midi file playback - lack of effects and snare drum sou

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi A100,

I can only offer the following not sure if I am 100% sure if this is your issue but may be useful info.
Firstly are you using the the PRST rhythm sets or the GM? With the GM kits and a GS reset sysex at the beginning of each song you wil have reverb. If you are using the PRST SonicCellKit-Scrh&Voi&Wld there isn''t. The other annoyng fact is that the PRST kits are lower in level than the GM kits and quite honestly do sound better so it is worth using them. This was a quirk that annoyed me for a long time. You could use the editor but I have done the folowing.

I have saved a template on the Sonic Cell called "Live template" where I have set my chorus and reverb types etc. My sysex page in Sonar has this 16k sysex as an auto send. This template has all channels set to gm pianos and gm kit on 10. If you have loaded the Sonic Cells patch and rhythm INS files in Sonar you can set the right instruments for each channel easily and save you song as a midi type 1

To get reverb on the PRST kit you have to (on the SC panel) scroll to chn 10 press part view, scroll to part , press dial, scroll to Output Assign and set to MFX . Next press "effects" button and next to the F1 is the little volume icon high light it and press dial. You will see output level, Chorus send level and reverb send level. highlight reverb send level press dial and set level to you taste. if you pres effects button again it takes you back to the previous screen. Here I suggest either using a limiter or a compressor to boost the drumkits output level. Remember you have already set chn 10 as outputting through MFX 1, it can be thru or have an effect but I suggest you use one.

if you go menu-system-system midi-Tx edit data and set it to ON then when you are in Sonar and have your track loaded you can send these settings to Sonar and save as a sysex at the beging of each song. For example, on all my backtracks there is an autosend to select my live template and two to set my Mfx 1 limiter settings and one to turn mfx1 on in chn 10. It may seem long winded but it is simple in that you can set all the parameters in the limiter then highlight limiter, scroll back to compressor set Sonar the recieve from unit scroll back to limiter and these setting will be transmitted. Same with the mfx1 on in chn 10. it is one 28k file.

I hope I haven't barked up the wrong tree but I have included a track that you can check out and see the sysex commands in it.

regards

HumanSonic
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

I am only able to attach one at at a time so excuse the repeat posts.
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

And finally.............................this one switches MFX 1 on chanell 10
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

P.S send me a midi file to wilchris.labuschagne@gmail.com and I will check why there is a lack of snare on your drums.

regards
HumanSonic
A100

Post by A100 »

HumanSonic,

Thanks for the detailed reply. When I get the time I will sit down and go through your helpful suggestion and see how it goes. I will also try your tracks with the sysex commands.

Your assitance is much appreciated

Regards

A100
HumanSonic

Post by HumanSonic »

Hi A100,

i have attached one of your files see how it is as I don't know exactly how it should sound.

You need to, under Global" in sonar set the software to not send sysex automatically. Remove GM reset out of the file and load the ones i gave you. I found that if the unit is in GM mode you need to use the dial to use another template. I will check out if I can send you my live template it works well for gigs

Let me know about your track

cheers
humanSonic