Query re playing the synth at the same time as an audio file

Forum for SonicCell
comradec

Query re playing the synth at the same time as an audio file

Post by comradec »

I am interesting in the SonicCell but read something in the manual that made me unsure about one point.

Page 168 of the manual says: "You can’t use the SMF/Audio File Player to play songs while also using USB audio/MIDI message input/output".

Does that mean I could not play back an audio file on the SonicCell while at the same time also using its built-in synth sounds?

What I want to do is play back audio backing tracks while also controlling its synth sounds from an external keyboard connected via MIDI.

If I've interpreted the manual correctly, it seems that isn't possible. Or am I misreading what it means?
BlueNote

Re: Query re playing the synth at the same time as an audio

Post by BlueNote »

Hi comradec,

Yes you can, and this is exactly what I do.

As for what the section in the manual to which you refer means, I'm afraid I don't really know!
comradec

Post by comradec »

Thanks BlueNote. I decided to buy a SonicCell in the end. Looking like a good decision so far.

--
Steve Cooke
http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke
http://www.facebook.com/comradec
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

I came across this thread awhile searching for a similar answer. This statement in the manual troubles me a bit:

"You can’t use the SMF/Audio File Player to play songs while also using USB audio/MIDI message input/output"."

What I want to know is that while the Sonic Cell is playing back a MIDI file, does it still send out MIDI messages? What I want to do is use the Sonic Cell as a compact drum machine with backing synth sounds for live gigs, plus have it act as sequencer to sync up and slave an external synthesizer.