changin sonic cell default

Forum for SonicCell
billyibanez

changin sonic cell default

Post by billyibanez »

hi to anyone owning a sonic cell. though i know bout exclusive message and setting of drum tone, i need advice on how to set a drum patch as default so that it will not change sound everytime a new midi song plays. my kick sounds a bit like fluttering flap when played loud. even after i set and save a nice tuning for drum esp the kick, it dissapear while a new file plays. i have in my collection, nearly 3000 midifile without any exclusive message. it gonna takes years to set every song. pls thanks
rcraven

Re: changin sonic cell default

Post by rcraven »

Billy
Usually a midi song file will select patches at the start of the song and use the General Midi (GM or GM2) bank. This is a fixed internal bank that you cannot change.

Within the GM set there are a few drum kits but you can't edit them and save them back to the GM area.

Unfortunately setting the patch change receive to off on channel 10 won't help with Midi files only data coming in the Midi port.

So you either have to change the midi files ( you could probably write a program to strip the Channel 10 PC and bank data if you are a programmer) or have another device plugged into the MIDI port so you can hit a button to change the Bank and Patch on channel 10 after the song starts.

Behringer Nano or BCR2000 or BCF2000 or a programmable keyboard controller should do the trick.

Royce
Jazzmammal

Post by Jazzmammal »

Hi Billy, unfortunately this gets pretty much everybody who works with midi files. You search the internet, find hundreds or in your case thousands of pretty decent files for free and think wow, hook these up to a good synth and I'm all set. Wrong. Those downloaded files are all GM. Different manufacturers do not advertise "Look at us we have the best GM soundbank around!." There's no competifive advantage to that because GM is generic. The GM gank is mostly older basic sounds the company has "laying around" because pros don't use GM. Their best stuff is in all the other banks.
You have 2 choices: Redo all your files to not use the SC's GM soundbank but to use all of the other much better sounding patches including the drums or shop for a sound module with a great sounding GM bank.

Bob
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Billy
I came across this piece of Freeware.
MidiPat.exe
at
http://www.gnmidi.com/gnfreeen.htm

It is for DOS, but there is also a shareware collection of Midi utilities in a Windows program at the same location.

MidiPat can change the GM patches in a midi file and replaces it with a bank select and patch select you have in a text file.
It looks like you can do it in a batch, so you might be able to do the conversion a whole directory of files at a time.

All the best
Royce
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hello forum,

It's a real shame that Roland changed the way the GM bank, sounds on the SonicCell. It is of a very low grade. They are a big name company, but they went backwards on the GM, since, about the time when the XV-88 came out, which I still own.

I also have 3 old Sound Canvasas in the studio, (1 SC-88Pro and 2 SC-8850) remember those? Yeah, they smoke my XV-88, Fantom S (x2), Fantom X (x2) and the Sonic Cell (x3).

Yes, I am a midi programmer also and about 45% of my work, it's around the GM requests. Sounds like Roland really blew it on that one.
billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

thanks for the reply. u just made me regret sellin my yamahaQY70( which have super kick drum) to some poor guy at 1/4 of the value.
billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

thanks for the reply. u just made me regret sellin my yamahaQY70( which have super kick drum) to some poor guy at 1/4 of the value.
billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

now, after months of fiddling wit sonic cell on sonar7 , i finally get to change the bank to internal preset. that is 128x87+64.= 11200 for bank A. 11201 for bank B and so forth. but what is the bank number for the drum?? it still run on GM whatever i do.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

billyibanez wrote:now, after months of fiddling wit sonic cell on sonar7 , i finally get to change the bank to internal preset. that is 128x87+64.= 11200 for bank A. 11201 for bank B and so forth. but what is the bank number for the drum?? it still run on GM whatever i do.
For the Rhythm, use BANK 086:

BANK SELECT
MSB=086; LSB=000 => Program Number=001-032 : USER RHYTHM

MSB=086; LSB=064 => Program Number=001-032 : PRESET RHYTHM
billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

tks very much. will try now. just out of curiosity, where the hell did u get the number 086 for drum?? its not in the whole sonicell manual. tks again
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Of course there is in the manual!!
Look at the MIDI implementation chapter at the end.

If your manual doesn't have it (old version), I'll forward it on a PDF format, or you can always download the latest from Roland.com or Rolandus.com websites, from the support areas.
billyibanez

Post by billyibanez »

god just pin a star on your chest for being helpful and unselfish. it worrk!! tks. ok, last question. On sonar7, when track 1 is set to user guitar, why can't i change track 2 to another sound (like bass) from the same bank? cos track 2 and 3 keeps following sound of track1. tks again. should u need answer on guitar, ask me ok? before i run my own pub(play guitar too) , i'm a very good guitar maker and servicer for many professional. check you tube ( coffeetrap billy and paul) you can see a double neck guitar i make from scratch.
trizzy

Post by trizzy »

Hi there,

I could be wrong but make sure the other tracks you are trying to change are on different midi channels otherwise they will mimmick each other. I have learnt from experience!!!!

I hope this helps,

Cheers Wayne