Mixing audio from a Mac and SC patches triggered from a midi

Forum for SonicCell
Naxos

Mixing audio from a Mac and SC patches triggered from a midi

Post by Naxos »

Hello,
I'm considering buying a SonicCell to use with a Macbook and a midi controller. Can I route audio, say backing tracks, from my computer (Itunes or Garageband or Band in a Box) via USB through the SonicCell to a set of speakers while at the same time playing SonicCell patches triggered via midi from my controller. And, if I can, is there a way to mix the levels of both or either of these inputs in the SonicCell?

Jim
PauloF

Re: Mixing audio from a Mac and SC patches triggered from a

Post by PauloF »

Hi Naxos,
Welcome to the Clan !!

That is one of the SonicCell's features.
You can use it as your Mac's Audio card, and mix the Mac's Audio with what you are playing from the MIDI keyboard controller.

The most easier way to do that is by using the SC Editor on the Mac, choosing the **Routing** screen.

You can do that from the Patch Play or from the Performance Play areas.
From the Patch Play:
You should place the USB AUDIO Assign Button UP, which will route your Mac's audio through the SC's **INPUT EFFECT** processor, from where you can choose, **THROUGH, EQUALIZER ENHANCER, COMPRESSOR, LIMITER, NOISE SUPPRESSOR or CENTER CANCELER**, and also allow the signal to pass on the **CHORUS and REVERB** processors (those two, shared with your PATCH).

From the Performance Play:
You should place the USB AUDIO Assign Button UP, which will route your Mac's audio through the SC's **INPUT EFFECT** processor, from where you can choose the same effects as from the Patch Play, but in addition to that, by using the MFX3 LOCATION button in the UP position, you can add any of the 79 effects available on the MFX3 processor. It is also possible to route the signal further through the **CHORUS and REVERB** processors (those two, shared with your PERFORMANCE).

I hope this helps
cheers
Naxos

Post by Naxos »

Thanks very much for the excellent explanation. I must say I'm looking forward to getting a SonicCell but the documentation is a bit overwhelming.

Is there a way to adjust the overall master volume of the audio coming from the Mac?

One app I use, Band in a Box doesn't have a master volume control and right now without a SC I sometimes have a hard time getting the level of the midi instrument I'm playing to match the level of the audio from Band in a box.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

No problem as your Mac will do it easily after configuring SC as your Mac's sound board.
Just go to audio definitions in yor Mac and set the apropriate volume on the Output tab.
That will set the volume of the audio sent through the USB port to the SC.
Naxos

Post by Naxos »

Thanks again.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

my pleasure
Naxos

Post by Naxos »

So I bought a Sonic Cell. I'm able to route audio backing tracks from my Mac to the SC and then choose a patch or performance and play along with it. Now I'd like to route midi from Band in a box to the SC and then choose a patch to play along. Is this possible?
Naxos

Post by Naxos »

I figured it out.

Jim