Editor question

Forum for SonicCell
royce

Editor question

Post by royce »

I was wondering if any guru here would know what export SMF patch is please, eg I thought that being on a particular part would simply export the settings for the current patch but it seems not.

Any information would be most helpful.
GSPro

Re: Editor question

Post by GSPro »

Hi Royce,
Exporting in SMF will save as a Standard Midi File. In order for that patch to sound according the settings you assigned to it, you will need to make sure that all the system exclusive messages/ settings in that file, are at the very start (1st measure). Once you hit play, those SysEx will register and the patch will play accordingly.

Hope this is the answer you are looking for.
royce

Post by royce »

Hi,

Saving as patch does not seem to save the current patch, so does anyone know how to save individual patches as sysex and including them at the start of each track in a sequencer for example?

Thanks again
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Royce (except when I look in the mirror that's the first time have said that)

If you are talking about a computer sequencer, the SC editor as a VST instrument remembers all its settings when you save the song and loads them again when you load the song.

I use Sonar and I can set a VST track as the SC editor.
Edit any of the sounds and when you save the song the settings are saved as well.

The SMF is just eight sysex files wrapped in a Midi shell. To prove it, use MidiOx MidiBar to play the SMF. C ertainly worked for me.

There are a number of freeware SFM to sysex converters out there on the internet if you want to go that way.

All the best

Royce
royce

Post by royce »

Hi there

I only use Cubase not another sequencer and that cannot change, thus is the position of Roland Corp to further development as evidenced by the response or lack thereof in the roland uk forums.

As stated, I am using the standalone editor and wish to export patch only data, however this does not appear to work so if anyone knows a way to export patch/fx settings individually it would be appreciated.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Royce
"As stated, I am using the standalone editor and wish to export patch only data, however this does not appear to work"

It does work but the export from the Editor is in a Midi file not sysex files.
That is, there are 8 small sysex files inside the one midi file.

The SC editor
On the left, the Mode should be "Patch"
To save the Midi file containing the sysex data of the change Patch File /Export SMF....

Cubase (I tested this on SX3
Import the midi file into a track.
File menu... Import/Midi file
Now the set up the track with this midi file so it sends it to the SC and every time you play this part the sysex will be sent to the SC and the preset loaded.
Your new preset will be in the edit buffer of the SC.

If this is not happening go to the System menu on the SC.
Go to the last entry "System MIDI"
Select this and look for the "RX Exclusive" and make sure it is on.

Royce