Questions about sound and patches

Forum for SonicCell
Manchoa

Questions about sound and patches

Post by Manchoa »

Hi !

Got Sonic Cell just yesterday. I think I could figure it out myself, but thought I would get info quicker by asking it here.

First - when I connected Sonic Cell to my studio equipment, the sound of Sonic Cell sounded a little "dull"... Well - not so shiny and bright as the sound of my other synths (Roland Juno Stage, Roland Discover 5, Ketron Audya, Korg PA, Solton M5). I had to turn EQ of my mixing Board up quite a lot to get the sound I like. I know Sonic Cell has onboard three band EQ, but in normal conditions it would be better to keepo thi sin ZERO and use the EQ in Mixing board. In live performance its not good to use two EQ´s - one in your equipment and other in sound engineers ....

Then i found something like multiband compressor in Sonic Cell. I have not changed anything in there and the SC is in "factory reset" condition.

So - how do You guys use it (both in Studio and in live) - do you "help" the sound a little with the onboard EQ and maybe You can suggest some settings to try out ? And what about the multiband compressor. Should I keep it as it is or ?

Second: I´m used to play the synths in so called "patch mode". So in studio I record the synths track by track as audio files and mix them in DAW. BUT -sometimes I need to do it in midi, so I need to use the Sonic Cell in multitimbral (performance) mode. With both Juno Stage and Fantom X, the patches sou8nd very different in patch and performance mode, because in patch mode the sounds have different effects attached already, in performance mode you have to set all the effects manually, both Juno Stage and Fantom X dont "copy" the effects of patch to performance. Well, I would say the sounds in performance mode are "dry sounds" and in patch mode they are ready to use "wet" sounds.
How is it with Sonic Cell ? Do I have to set all the effects and routings one by one myself when i performance mode, or are the sounds the same both in patch and performance mode.

Thanks
PauloF

Re: Questions about sound and patches

Post by PauloF »

SC is very similar to a Fantom X regarding The way it works internally. Except for The Player and USB Áudio and MIDI features.

Só basically, The same patch/performance concept applies