SonicCell as sound module with A-500PRO into SONAR X1b 64bit

Forum for SonicCell
guylemec

SonicCell as sound module with A-500PRO into SONAR X1b 64bit

Post by guylemec »

I am trying to play the SC sounds from my A-500PRO keyboard but I get no indication of signal send from my SC and no sound in SONAR. I've followed the manual and connected midi out from the kb to the midi in of SC. The SC is usb connected to my PC. The SC ouput goes to my Focusrite audio/midi interface. I've checked all the logic and I can't figure out why it doesn't work. Any ideas?
rcraven

Re: SonicCell as sound module with A-500PRO into SONAR X1b 6

Post by rcraven »

Plug in some headphones.
Play the keyboard. Any sound from the SC?
Volume control on the front of the SC.
Does the Midi light flash on the SC when you play the keyboard?
Are you in Patch or Performance mode?

Royce
guylemec

Post by guylemec »

Thanks for your interest, Royce.
The SC would play the demos and I could audition sounds no problem, so I knew the ouput from the SC was getting to the monitors, but there was no tell-tale flashing on the USB light, no metering on the MIDI INST screen and so nothing was reaching Sonar.
After some time, I can now play SC sounds in Sonar.
In Sonar the SC is defined as a midi device, input and output.
On the SC, USB-MIDI Thru is set to ON.
I have paired a midi track and an audio track in a folder.
Midi input is set to the A-PRO Omni, output to Roland SonicCell, None on the Channel, Bank and Patch settings.
(I couldn't choose a Bank anyway though Channel and Patch I could.)
Audio input is set to the Focusrite audio/midi interface audio inputs that I've connected the SC audio outputs to, output to a stereo bus in Sonar.
The SC is in Performance send mode. I experimented with changing this to Patch mode but whenever I returned to the scree, it seemed to have been reset to Performance - I don't understand that.
Anyway, I can now input directly from the A-500 with flashing USB light on the SC and meter flashing in the Sonar midi track AND I hear it!!
I can also put sequences in the midi track and they play!!
To record, I just arm the audio track, hit r, and then play or let the sequence run through and I get an audio clip!!
This is all good news but... what remains is that I have to do my patch selection on the SC wheel - I cannot get the SC Editor to work. When I load it into the FX bin of the audio track (as per the manual) I constantly get the "Unable to read/write data" message and the manual is not too helpful with that.
Frankly, I'm delighted that I can do so much already that I'm happy to do without the editor interface - I'm not that keen to get into editing patches - but it would be nice to be able to select patches on the PC screen.
If anyone has any ideas why my SC Editor VST won't work, that would be great.
Thanks to all.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

guylemec wrote:Thanks for your interest, Royce.
The SC would play the demos and I could audition sounds no problem, so I knew the ouput from the SC was getting to the monitors, but there was no tell-tale flashing on the USB light, no metering on the MIDI INST screen and so nothing was reaching Sonar.
After some time, I can now play SC sounds in Sonar.
In Sonar the SC is defined as a midi device, input and output.
On the SC, USB-MIDI Thru is set to ON.
I have paired a midi track and an audio track in a folder.
Midi input is set to the A-PRO Omni, output to Roland SonicCell, None on the Channel, Bank and Patch settings.
(I couldn't choose a Bank anyway though Channel and Patch I could.)
Audio input is set to the Focusrite audio/midi interface audio inputs that I've connected the SC audio outputs to, output to a stereo bus in Sonar.
The SC is in Performance send mode. I experimented with changing this to Patch mode but whenever I returned to the scree, it seemed to have been reset to Performance - I don't understand that.
Anyway, I can now input directly from the A-500 with flashing USB light on the SC and meter flashing in the Sonar midi track AND I hear it!!
I can also put sequences in the midi track and they play!!
To record, I just arm the audio track, hit r, and then play or let the sequence run through and I get an audio clip!!
This is all good news but... what remains is that I have to do my patch selection on the SC wheel - I cannot get the SC Editor to work. When I load it into the FX bin of the audio track (as per the manual) I constantly get the "Unable to read/write data" message and the manual is not too helpful with that.
Frankly, I'm delighted that I can do so much already that I'm happy to do without the editor interface - I'm not that keen to get into editing patches - but it would be nice to be able to select patches on the PC screen.
If anyone has any ideas why my SC Editor VST won't work, that would be great.
Thanks to all.

Glad you got your set to work!

Regarding the SC VST Editor use, the manual is not very helpful as you said, but take a look to these documents (from the Roland US website, Support section). Maybe they will be helpful to you.

SonicCell Workshop 01: Using SonicCell with a DAW

SonicCell Workshop 02: Using SonicCell as an Audio Interface

SonicCell Workshop 03: Using SonicCell with SONAR LE™

SonicCell Workshop 04: Using SonicCell with SONAR™
guylemec

Post by guylemec »

Thank you, Paulof.
I suspect some reinstallation is in order...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

guylemec wrote:Thank you, Paulof.
I suspect some reinstallation is in order...
I'm not sure about that, as you are able to get Sonar to map through SC, and you can hear the sound, which means Midi (over USB) is working fine.

Two questions:
1- do you really need USB-MIDI thru to be ON? that will prevent you from controlling the SC from the A-500 directly...
2- does the SC Editor works as a stand alone application?