SD-50 sysex for reverb type???

Forum for SonicCell
trizzy

SD-50 sysex for reverb type???

Post by trizzy »

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and would just like to say what a great site.......I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here. I'm posting this question here as there doesn't seem to be a section dedicated to the SD-50 so I hope this is the right thing to do.
My question is I have purchased a Roland SD-50 and when it plays GM/GM2 files it defaults the Reverb setting to Large Hall which sounds great but it makes the songs sound mushy and crowded when performing live. I know that some of my GS files have different reverb types set into them so there must be a way to set the reverb type for each file via a sysex message at the begining of each song. I have scoured the internet for several weeks and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone here could tell me what the sysex string is that I would have to enter to set the reverb to medium hall in GM/GM2 mode and would it be the same for the GS type files.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated........

Cheers Wayne
rcraven

Re: SD-50 sysex for reverb type???

Post by rcraven »

GM reverb set

From the SC manual

CC 91 is reverb send
With sysex you can control the reverb type and the reverb time

Reverb Parameters
Status Data byte Status
F0H 7FH, 7FH, 04H, 05H, 01H, 01H, F7H
01H, 01H, 01H, ppH, vvH

Byte Explanation
F0H Exclusive status
7FH ID number (universal realtime message)
7FH Device ID (Broadcast)
04H Sub ID#1 (Device Control)
05H Sub ID#2 (Global Parameter Control)
01H Slot path length
01H Parameter ID width
01H Value width
01H Slot path MSB
01H Slot path LSB (Effect 0101: Reverb)

ppH Parameter to be controlled.
vvH Value for the parameter.

pp=0 Reverb Type
vv = 00H Small Room
vv = 01H Medium Room
vv = 02H Large Room
vv = 03H Medium Hall
vv = 04H Large Hall
vv = 08H Plate

pp=1 Reverb Time
vv = 00H - 7FH 0 - 127

F7H EOX (End Of Exclusive)

I'm not sure what a GM or GM2 request will do to the reverb setup.
You may have to reset it in each song or remove the GM request in each song.

Hope this helps

Royce Craven
trizzy

Post by trizzy »

Awesome Royce,

Thanks for the reply and the info I will try and enter the sysex info you have provided over the next couple of days and I will let you know.

Thanks heaps Wayne.
trizzy

Post by trizzy »

Hi guys for your information after researching the net I added the line

F0 41 10 42 12 40 01 30 03 0C F7

To my SYSEX command in each midi file and this changed the reverb type to Hall 1 which was a much more subtle reverb and not overpowering. Problem solved!!!

Unfortunately I have had to update to the sonic cell as the SD-50 does not transmit program changes via midi......even though it states it does........it only transmits V-Link program changes.......Naughty misinformation there. It's a shame as the SD-50 would have cornered the market by a simple version update to remedy this to give proper midi transmission of data. So those of you thinking of purchasing one beware it can not control external midi devices such as Harmonisers ,Drum machines etc.....As a Solo performer the ability to control a vocal harmoniser is a must for me.

I must state that the staff from Roland Australia have been unbelievably helpful in regards to testing the SD-50 to colaberate my problem and then the Sonic Cell to ensure that it will do everything that I require in the studio plus onstage. It's just a shame that I had to spend 3 times as much to get midi transmission at the cost of some of the SD-50 SMF players functionality. You were Soooooooo close Roland design team, Sooooo close!!!!! with the SD-50. Hopefully they will see the light and make the software update and I will gladly buy it again as it was an awesome unit. I hope the sonic cells full on capabilities and expandability will soften the extra cost I had to pay to get control over my harmoniser. Sonic Cell not recieved at time of posting!

Cheers Wayne.
GSPro

Post by GSPro »

Hello forum,
I saw this thread and thought I'd pitch in, even though, it's somewhat resolved.
Yes, the reverb default (Large Hall) on the SD-50 it's too much and it'll default back to Large Hall every time the SD-50 is turned back on.
Below is an example:

Per the SD-50 "MIDI Implementation Chart," to change the Reverb type to "Medium Hall" this is the SysEx that needs to be entered...

F0 41 10 00 00 4A 12 18 00 06 04 5E F7

For Plate reverb
F0 41 10 00 00 4A 12 18 00 06 06 5C F7

Guess what! Roland didn't even get the SysEx issues right. The SD-50, receives absolutely ZERO SysEx.
This also applies to all Chorus Types.

Sent email to RolandUS over a month ago and was replied with " To solve your request, please call us."
So, I called and explained. Tech support was going to call me back the very next day to solve this issue, but never did. Another thing with them is the arrogance that they have developed in the past 5-7 years, it's unbelievable. I guess they've become to fat.

@trizzy:
I'm surprised that the Sysex for the older sound canvas worked. This must be residual code in the software (or chip) on the SD-50. Why? I've actually managed to have the SD-50 show more reverb types than what it actually has when trying to figure out the SysEx. They didn't work but, the names did show up.

A software update is a must.
Oh! Another thing is that Roland it's starting to cater to Windows user only. They have a "Instrument Definition List" for Cakewalk but, they refuse to produce a .midnam patch list file to use and load the patch names in Digital Performer on a Mac. I've put in a request long time ago and nothing.

Hope they regroup and get better,
GSPro
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Yamaha bought Cubase. Roland bought the Win based DAW Sonar.
There is, of course,
http://www.rolandus.com/support/patch_s ... /index.php
Which might help. It generates instrument files for a few DAWs

I have a user patch name extractor, but it is written for windows.
You'll find it here.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=42584#p247830

All the best
Royce
wolfg

Post by wolfg »

Hi! Maybe this is not the right forum, but I'm desperately seeking for help about saving studio sets in SD-50. (Perhaps I misinterpret the term PART when I tried to choose TONES from 1-16 different from preset PIANO, to have diiferent tones -1 st.piano 2 rotary organ, etc. etc )Maybe I cannot read (:-) but when I follow step-by-step instructions of the maunal (p.49 Selecting a tone for each part and then p.54 Saving a Studio Set) but nothing happens.
Please, help!
THX