Sonic Cell - Midi Files

Forum for SonicCell
DEVO-UK

Sonic Cell - Midi Files

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hurray...

Somewhere where I can get some decent feedback on this product (hopefully).

Soniccell v Fanton G6 is my dilemma

I'm currently using Logic pro to write and bouncing the tracks to audio for live backing tracks. Logic has a program called Manstage that has an 8 track backing track player. Anyway, this produces qualit results, but they are too perfect and lack the live feel of the synths playing live.

So I have all my songs programmed and came across this Soniccell module which I can supposedly import my midi files and assign to instruments in the module to play the backing tracks live.

My dilemma is, the Soniccell v Fantom G6. I'm more concerned with the quality of sounds, as I have all the facilities to program the backing track midi files, so I may be shelling out for something I don't need.

Can anyone please provide some feedback/advice?

Also , in some of my songs in Logic, I have some tracks as midi info and some as audio (samples stripped from existing records for covers)

Can the Soniccell have midi and audio running in the same song in the 16 track player?
PauloF

Re: Sonic Cell - Midi Files

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Hurray...

Somewhere where I can get some decent feedback on this product (hopefully).

Soniccell v Fanton G6 is my dilemma

I'm currently using Logic pro to write and bouncing the tracks to audio for live backing tracks. Logic has a program called Manstage that has an 8 track backing track player. Anyway, this produces qualit results, but they are too perfect and lack the live feel of the synths playing live.

So I have all my songs programmed and came across this Soniccell module which I can supposedly import my midi files and assign to instruments in the module to play the backing tracks live.

My dilemma is, the Soniccell v Fantom G6. I'm more concerned with the quality of sounds, as I have all the facilities to program the backing track midi files, so I may be shelling out for something I don't need.

Can anyone please provide some feedback/advice?

Also , in some of my songs in Logic, I have some tracks as midi info and some as audio (samples stripped from existing records for covers)

Can the Soniccell have midi and audio running in the same song in the 16 track player?
Welcome to the Clan!!

Ok, let me see if I can help you with this dilema of yours ;-)

Using a Fantom G just for Backing tracks ? in this case I would use the SonicCell, as it is much simpler and inexpensive compared to the Fantom G, but all depends on what you do with the Fantom.

However, if the heart of your sound production is the Fantom G, it should be logical to use it also for playing the backing tracks. In this case the Fantom is a full sequencer with Audio and MIDI integration and will allow you to do exactly what you want.. playing back MIDI and Audio at the same time.

The SonicCell is a nice basic synth, based on the Fantom X architecture, with Backing tracks yes, but only plays one MP3, WAV or MIDI file at once, it is just a MIDI or AUDIO player, while the Fantom G is a full production workstation.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hey

Thanks for your replay, and the warm welcome

I think you are right.

I have all the work station facilities on my Mac with Logic to create all the backing tracks, so why duplicate this, when I only need the midi player.

I was just a bit concerned about the quality of sounds, but hey, I'm no depeche mode lol

Just a guy doing a few covers.

I can always shell out for the expansion cards if I'm not happy.

Would welcome any other views / opinions if anyone has any

Best

Alan
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Hey

Thanks for your replay, and the warm welcome

I think you are right.

I have all the work station facilities on my Mac with Logic to create all the backing tracks, so why duplicate this, when I only need the midi player.

I was just a bit concerned about the quality of sounds, but hey, I'm no depeche mode lol

Just a guy doing a few covers.

I can always shell out for the expansion cards if I'm not happy.

Would welcome any other views / opinions if anyone has any

Best

Alan
Hi Alan,
Exactly !!!
Regarding the Sound quality, the SonicCell is one of those little machines that can surprise us. It has superb sound quality, only lacking Balanced Outputs, which should be standard in this type of boards.

Regarding the stock sounds, well they are ok, and you can always do your own, import other from existing Libraries (like the Planet X and F from Artemiy's Sinevibes) or even install up two SRX boards, which will enable you to increase even further the quality when compared to the stock sounds.

take care
Paulo
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Thanks Paulo

One more question. What is the issue with the unbalaced outputs. I dont understand this. Does it impact on sound quality output.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Thanks Paulo

One more question. What is the issue with the unbalaced outputs. I dont understand this. Does it impact on sound quality output.
Yes it does, on the HUM noise that are normally generated when UNBALANCED Outputs are used.
There are ways to minimize this hum by avoiding ground loops, which sometimes is not an easy matter to deal with....I can tell you from experience (I was a Sound equipment designer and Sound Tech for a few bands 30 Years Ago...).

Balanced Outputs have a Canceling effect on the Hum noise, and are used in all Professional grade equipment.
Unfortunately, SonicCell does not have Balanced Outs, but when it comes to Hum and Noise, try to use pro grade cables, not very long ones. You can test cables effect on hum & Noise by rising the Volume on your Mixer or sound system (preferably using headphones), and choosing the ones that give you less noise.

Other alternative is to use a DI box which "converts" the UNBALANCED Audio signals into BALANCED ones.

I hope this helps
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Thanks Paolo

I think it will not matter for the small bar gigs I'll be doing.

I'll just be putting this through a Motu Ultralite into some JBL PRX535's, so should be fine.

I think I'm ready to buy.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DEVO-UK wrote:Thanks Paolo

I think it will not matter for the small bar gigs I'll be doing.

I'll just be putting this through a Motu Ultralite into some JBL PRX535's, so should be fine.

I think I'm ready to buy.
I guess not... :-)

Just try to avoid ground loops, specially by having all Audio equipment connected to the same power box.

Happy gigging